PDA

View Full Version : Planing trip to ZigZag and Blackfellows Hand Trail in August

Outback
12-07-07, 01:12 PM
Hi All,
Will be taking a run on August 5th up to the Zig Zag, Lost Cities and then via the powerlines and blackfellows hand trail to the aboriginal cave paintings, we will travel home via Wallerawang.
This is a fairly easy C grade trip with some B options if you need them, if you haven't been on a Jeep trip before this is an ideal starter even for stockers.

Date: Sunday, 5th August
Meeting time: 9:00am
Meeting Spot: Zig Zag Railway Carpark
Trip Leader: Outback
Register: You must let Outback know you are coming ... if you then can't make it, you must also let him know
What to Bring: The family (kids love these trips!) morning tea, picnic lunch, and camera. Also dont forget the recovery gear though it is extremely unlikely you'll need it.

CDKJ
12-07-07, 08:13 PM
I'd like to come along Brain but my rims probably wont be here till the 15th, just in time for Coffs. Will do next time.

stevet
29-07-07, 03:14 PM
Hi Brian,
See you on the day 8).
Anyone wanting to meet prior to travel up the Bells Line of Road,I will be at Richmond MacDonalds @ 7.45a.m..
Stephen T.

Outback
29-07-07, 09:41 PM
We will see you at Macca's Steve.

homedg
04-08-07, 03:08 PM
Hi guys,
Not sure if I'm too late to get on board however I would be keen to join you tomorrow.
I have a stock JK Wrangler and am a novice myself so this sounds like a newbie friendly run.
I am not a member yet (was going to attend the club meeting last Wednesday, DOH! :oops: ) but would be keen to find out a bit more on what SJC is all about as well.
Understand if the late notice, level of equipment/experience precludes us. Either way no sweat.
thanks
David

stevet
04-08-07, 05:17 PM
Hi David,
You are more than welcome to come along. This basically is a "C" grade run with different options. There are bi-passes around all of the sections. As for recovery gear-- a snatch strap, x2 D-ring shackles. a recovery point F/R eg a tow bar, a CB of some kind but I have a spare hand held if needed.
As for being a novice,( we all started somewhere), this run would be a good one for you to learn some basic skills & see what your Jeep can do even in stock .So see you tomorrow. We usually use Ch. 15 on the air if you have a CB. 8)
Stephen T.
P.S. It may prove prudent to remove your hard rear mudflaps for the run.

Outback
04-08-07, 05:21 PM
Your welcome Homedg meet is at Richmond Maccas at 7:45 or at Zig Zag car park near the station at 9.00am.
Stock car should be no problems as there are side tracks available for any rough bits.
PS a JK stock is still a pretty good off road vehicle. Leaves the rice burners in dust!

homedg
04-08-07, 08:45 PM
Great.
DG Jnr and I will see you at Richmond Maccas in the morning.
YEE HAH!

BJsTJ
05-08-07, 03:37 PM
has anyone got a trip report for this ?????????????

bernie

stevet
05-08-07, 07:53 PM
Hi Bernie,
We were still out when you posted up your ???. Brian will do a trip report for you with some pic's hopefully (me zip..).
I was very impressed with the stock JK T/D auto with H/W tyres to boot. We all ( x3) went up a climb with ease after x4 F/S ricers turned back after trying their worst to get up :lol: , Go Jeep!!!! 8) .Well done David on his first day out in the JK.See you at Menai or the next club meet in Sept. David, I hoped you & David enjoyed your first run with the club.
Stephen T.

homedg
05-08-07, 08:39 PM
What a great day out! :lol:
Thanks to the Outback crew (and it was a crew squeezed in there) and Steve for taking us and the JK stocker under your wings and showing us what a day off-roading, and the SJC, is all about.
We were as Green as the Wrangler with some of this stuff and as DG Jnr and I babbled about what we did on the way home we were pretty proud of what an "out of the box" Jeep is capable of. Without your guidance we never would have even dreamed that some of the terrain we conquered was possible (I know, I know, probably pretty lame for you guys).
It was an extra blast to get up that first climb, stocker with HT's and all, without any real sweat after Russell Crowe had sagely advised me en-route that he and his rice burner mates had returned defeated and that without some serious mods we weren't going anywhere.
With nothing but bluff to back me I responded with a "Jeeps are built for this kind of stuff" and carried on. Little did I know how true those words were. Not even Steve trying to push us into a roll-over could halt us.

Anyways, thanks again for the run and can't wait to do it again.

David and Davo.

PS: If your spirit and attitude is typical of members at SJC then all I can say is "Where do I sign?".

PPS. In hindsight we probably should have staged some pics of getting stuck so I could justify some extra investment in the JK with my Minister for Finance 8)

BJsTJ
05-08-07, 09:22 PM
Hey guys am still working on the mag
publisher kept crashing on me - so it is very slow going
will be back at it again tomorrow after work

sounds you had a great day - wish I could have been there (was out with horses - 4leg riding - for my nephews birthday)

homedg now you get all those Jeep labels

'there's only one Jeep'

'Its a Jeep thing you wouldn't understand'

bernie

ps whats a rice burner??? is that a bad cook

stevet
05-08-07, 10:12 PM
Bernie------Think Japanese :roll:

homedg
07-08-07, 07:09 PM
Can anyone clue me up on how to post a pic in my forum reply?
Thanks in advance.

jeepthing
07-08-07, 07:40 PM
your photos have to be uploaded onto one of those image hosting websites such as photobucket or aussiejeepimages. then in your reply you insert the http link of the photos, highlight each link, and click on the Img button. hope that makes sense.

Outback
07-08-07, 07:57 PM
Trying to get my snaps and trip report to the computer, please be patient.

homedg
07-08-07, 08:03 PM
Testing piccy insert
http://www.aussiejeepimages.com/gallery2/v/homedg/IMG_1611.JPG.html
http://www.aussiejeepimages.com/gallery2/v/homedg/IMG_1613.JPG.html
http://www.aussiejeepimages.com/gallery2/v/homedg/IMG_1627.JPG.html

Outback
07-08-07, 09:56 PM
Zig Zag Blackfellows Hand Trail Trip August 5th 2007-08-07
In attendance: Steve T, DavidG senior and David Junior, Outback, Nada and family from Melbourne.
Sunday morning dawned sunny and warm in Sydney, by 7:45 am we had assembled under the ?Golden Arches?at Richmond. Three vehicles made the trek up the mountains from the Steve?s modified Laredo to David?s stock off the showroom floor JK and the KJ with its new STT?s. By the time we crossed the mountains the temperature had dropped to a chilly 5 degrees and as we aired down in the Zig Zag car park the cold weather gear was much in evidence as were about 30 assorted Landcruisers and PooTrolls.
The first order of the day was Steve?s short form 4WD school for David including convoy procedure and a quick stop on the power lines for some wheel placement exercises. We were all amazed to see how the little diesel JK walked across the articulation traps with the occasional wheel in the air but always showing forward momentum. On the way to the climb up to the big rock on the power line we met up with some oncoming traffic of the ?Rice burner? variety. One man who bore a striking resemblance to Russel Crowe then made some derogatory comment to David that he might as well ?turn back now? that as they, with their lifted and locked vehicles, were unable to climb the trail then the JK and Jeeps in general had buckley?s?. Red rag to a bull.. ?Them?s Fighting Words?
How wrong they were and even Glen, Nada?s son and a Landrover Defender owner was amazed to see the ?little fellow? scurry up the slope with its? street tyres and shiny duco.
A little humour at the ?Lost Cities? when a Mitsubishi driver jumped out of his vehicle a said I?ve been looking for this ?Blood..y place for two Blood..y years?. Glen?s four year old daughter then commented that she thought that the city was no longer lost!
A quick climb up ?Ranger Bobs? and its companion climb saw an end to the driver training/enjoyment and after a lunch break we made tracks for Blackfellows hand trail and the cave of its name. What an amazing sight as you drive down into the canyon and what a great, damage free day.
This little trip is probably one of the best ?driver training tracks? around and as David would probably testify a good place for new members to learn the ropes.
Big thanks to Steve T who led by example and kept everyone ?safe?.

Photos to follow

homedg
07-08-07, 10:13 PM
No Success with my pic posts.
Any suggestions?
DG
PS: Thanks for the post Trip Report Brian/Nada.
:lol: :lol: Can't wait to see some photos :lol: :lol:

arb87u
08-08-07, 07:52 AM
No Success with my pic posts.
Any suggestions?
DG
PS: Thanks for the post Trip Report Brian/Nada.
:lol: :lol: Can't wait to see some photos :lol: :lol:

here is part of post on the ajor forum that will help in this situation.

Option 2: External Images (Already Uploaded To An External Hosting Service)

Pro's: The images can be seen in the thread large as life, and cost AJOR zip, zero nadda.

Con's: The images can take awhile to load and on slower connections can be a real PITA.

Now image hosting on external sites is really simple, we have several image hosting providers dedicated to jeeps for example aussiejeepimages.com. For video you can't go past YouTube youtube.com. Chances are that even your ISP will allow you to host your images for the world to see and free of charge. Every site is different in the way that you upload your images and content but all of them have help files and are easy to navigate (if you have problems with a specific one, ask for help here). The end result is that you will end up with an "Image Location" which is where you image/picture now lives on the internet. as said in my previous host just bung this image location between some image tags (like this: image location goes here). In most web browsers you can use your right mouse button, just click it on the image and on the menu should be something like "Copy image location" then you just paste it here between the tags. (if you don't get this menu option you can always go to "Properties" on the menu and you should see the image location there).

the entire thread with all the instructions is here

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64864

Outback
09-08-07, 10:23 PM
Photos from Zig Zag
http://www.aussiejeepimages.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=105141&g2_navId=x102273f3

homedg
10-08-07, 04:43 PM
Aussiejeepimages have been offline since last night :x

I hate to think what would be lost if one of those sites melted down, never to be returned. GULP! 8O

Outback
12-08-07, 04:51 PM
Jeep images up again, link has been changed to view ZigZag pics.

ando_13
12-08-07, 07:07 PM
That is a good little trip for peeps to get started, enough climbs that get a bit of pucker factor happening to those that aren't experienced.

Good to see a JK out wheeling.