PDA

View Full Version : KJ Control Arm Bushes

Dave
27-09-07, 01:39 PM
Took the Jeep back to ARB yesterday. I have had an "asthmatic donkey" noise coming intermittently from the front end for at least a year now - every time I go over speed humps for example.
I know that other KJ drivers including Jenko have mentioned the same.
It had been looked at by Jeep Service and by Midas when they were doing my brakes. They could not positively ID the noise, but thought it might have been the shocks.

My springs and shocks are OME, fitted last year, hence the return to ARB.

Nothing wrong with the shocks apparently, BUT they reckon that the bushes in the lower control arms are stuffed (35 000km on the odo) and need replacing! Why no one else has seen this I do not know. Booked at Jeep for warranty replacement next Wednesday. Note, they could not guarantee that this is the source of the noise, but fingers crossed!

ARB said that as the noise has been there for a while - well before my Simpson Desert Trip, they should keep going, or they could disintegrate anytime!

So if anyone else is driving a KJ with an illegal, chain smoking, ass under the hood, it might be worth checking it out.

CDKJ
27-09-07, 09:21 PM
Hope I don't find any illegal, chain smoking asses under my hood :D

Thanks for the heads up Dave.

Dave
03-10-07, 02:03 PM
Took the KJ into Parramatta Jeep Service at 7.30am today (Wed 3rd) as booked to replace the lower control arm bushes. (Note this was discussed with them over the phone last Wednesday). I wandered around Parra until I got a phone call at about 11 am. Yes, the lower control arm AND the sway bar bushes need replacing. No parts in Sydney, have to come from Melbourne. They recommended that the car should not be driven! So I am carless - and I was supposed to be driving to Tumut this afternoon! Plans changed.

You would think that with a weeks notice they would order the parts, but no, they won't take my (or ARB's) word for it.

This is its 15th trip to Jeep service in 2 yrs 4 months, 35k kms (from new). Not really a satisfied customer.

Dave
12-10-07, 06:04 PM
Well some good news. One week and 900kms later and the noise seems to be gone! Replacing the sway bar bushes seems to have worked. Jeep did not replace the control arm bushes, they seen to think that they are okay - so that remains a point of contention between Jeep and ARB.

On the negative side, coming back into Sydney I got an ABS warning / Brake warning light and the odometer stopped counting. This is the rear ABS Sensor failing, so its back to Jeep on Monday. Thank God for warranties, This will be the THIRD time they replace the rear ABS Sensor (November 06, June 07 and now), they are also going to look for a CAUSE this time (they assure me).

CDKJ
13-10-07, 08:00 PM
That sux Dave, lucky you still have the warranty.