PDA

View Full Version : Any other KJ's with repeated ABS failure?

Dave
16-10-07, 09:23 AM
Driving back to Sydney from the country last week I got ABS & Brake warning lights and the odometer stopped counting.
This is the rear ABS Sensor failing, it is the THIRD time this has happened in the last 12 months (November 06, June 07 and now).

I have also noted a 'harmonic' from the rear end in the last few weeks, especially at about 70kph under light acceleration.

I took it back to Parramatta Jeep Service yesterday where they said that they will replace the rear ABS Sensor again (3rd time), and they are also looking for a CAUSE this time.

I got a call this morning, one of their mechanics took it home last night, noted the harmonic, and believes that it is the rear diff. The ABS Sensor reads from the crown wheel in the diff, and they think that this could be the cause of the problem.

So, major rebuild of rear diff is about to happen, parts coming from Melbourne and they will need the vehicle until Friday. This is a GOOD thing, as I am hoping that this will solve the ongoing ABS problem (3rd time lucky?).

I hope that this will all be paid for by warranty as I cannot imagine what I could have done to damage the diff - especially as it is still running!

Has anyone else had this problem? If you are getting harmonic type noises or ABS problems you had better check it out.

CDKJ
19-10-07, 01:19 PM
Only ever had the problem once, never again.

Dave
19-10-07, 06:05 PM
Okay, 5 days later I've got the Jeep back. Here's the news;

"Front Pinion Bearing (where the prop shaft joins the diff) collapsed".
This allowed the crown gear to 'wobble', causing movement and wear in all other gears in the diff.
"All internal drive gears and bearings worn / metal throw oil causing wear to bearings."
"ABS Sensor failed due to contamination of diff oil from metal shavings from diff internals."

Fitted all new gears and bearings etc in rear diff and new ABS sensor under warranty (thank ....!)

So hopefully it will now be fine! Service had not experienced this fault before!

So beware if you have a noise in the rear and / or an ABS / Brake warning. It could be reeealy expensive!

Dave