PDA

View Full Version : Nudge bar and tow hooks on Cherokee KJ

cherokee04
14-12-07, 10:02 AM
I recently moved from Holland to Australia and purchased a 2004 Cherokee to be able to enjoy this country even more during the weekends. The Cherokee came with a standard Jeep nudge bar.

Over Christmas I am planning to take it to Stockton Beach for the first time. While preparing for this trip, I noticed that the Cherokee doesn't really have tow hooks but the nudge bar does have rings welded onto the mounting brackets (I would add a picture if I would know how). Does anyone know if these rings can be used as tow hooks? If so, is it required to use them both at the same time or can I just put a D-shackle on one of them and connect it to a snatch strap?

Also in the rear, the Cherokee doesn't have tow hooks. What would be the right location to connect the snatch strap here?

And last: do I need to get skid plates under the car? I checked with the Jeep dealer and they are quite expensive. Just the plates for the engine and the transmission would cost me about $380.

Thanks for your advise!

Steve F
14-12-07, 10:06 AM
I'm not sure on the front towhook issue but the best, and possibly cheapest, option for the rear is a towbar.

Cheers
Steve

cherokee04
14-12-07, 10:26 AM
Thanks for your reply Steve. My Jeep is already equipped with the rectangular hole in the rear. On the internet I have found Hitch Receiver Ball Mount Kits. These are just the 'tongue' with a hole in it for the tow ball. Would I just put a D-shackle through that hole and connect it to a snatch strap?

And would you advise me to get out to Stockton Beach with just the tow bar as recovery point or should I also get something fixed for the front? Any advise regarding the skid plates?

Thanks, Mark.

CDKJ
18-12-07, 11:36 PM
Thanks for your reply Steve. My Jeep is already equipped with the rectangular hole in the rear. On the internet I have found Hitch Receiver Ball Mount Kits. These are just the 'tongue' with a hole in it for the tow ball. Would I just put a D-shackle through that hole and connect it to a snatch strap?

And would you advise me to get out to Stockton Beach with just the tow bar as recovery point or should I also get something fixed for the front? Any advise regarding the skid plates?

Thanks, Mark.

You really need an equalising strap for the front, shackle each side then snatch from the e-strap. It takes the pressure off one side and will probably prevent you ripping the nudge bar off. If your really stuck bad then I'd be snatching from the tow bar 1st. ARB sells the bit that slots into the tow hitch with a d-shackle attached approx $50. I simply push the snatch strap into the hitch of the tow bar and secure it with the pin. It's not going any where like that.

You will find that the D-shakles wont fit the nudge bar rings and you will have to file them out (I did). Stupid really but I didn't know that when I got mine.

I got my skids from Jeep Chatswood & put them on. They arn't cheap but cheaper if you do it your self. Talk to Craig at spare parts and he will help out (probably get them up from Melb). You don't needs skids for Stockton it's just sand. At least I don't think so.

Dave
05-02-08, 11:26 AM
I love my rear snatch receiver for the tow bar as you don't have to get right down and into the tow hitch (easy to fit). Large D Shackle pin goes straight through the hole.

I also love my ARB bull bar! It has great snatch points that fit shackles! I have been snatched, and have snatched others off it with no problems.

Dave