PDA

View Full Version : Shakes while Accelerates

BoZ
27-12-07, 09:03 AM
Hi guys, I'm new here, so thankyou for letting me join.

I wonder if anyone can help, perhaps someone has had the same issues? I've got a jeep wrangler '98. And the darn thing vibrates under accelration starting at around 85 ks upwards. when i back off it slowly backs off too. I went to a tire place today and the bloke there said, he had a Honda accord come in once and it did the same thing. He said it would have nothing to do with drive shafts, tires, or balancing. *SiGh*

Does anyone agree or have any other suggestions?

Thanks for hearing me out.

BoZ ;)

Antz
27-12-07, 09:55 AM
First up, what modifications have you made to your Jeep?

Suspension height?
Tyre size?
SYE?

BoZ
27-12-07, 10:24 AM
G'day antz. No mods at all. I bought it recently 2nd hand as i've always wanted one. Tires and wheels are standard size. tj model.

Antz
27-12-07, 10:58 AM
So its a vibration more than a steering shake? and its constant? any noise?

Dont know what the tyre guy is talking about, sounds like a balance issue to me.

I'd suggest a wheel balance and alignment first.

If its not that I'm guessing an out of balance driveshaft, stuffed uni joint or bent axle.

BoZ
27-12-07, 03:21 PM
it vibrates only during acceleration , no noise and it feels like the whole car vibrating. its a constant vibration that gets worse the faster i go. As i back off the gas it resides, even if the speed is over 85 kms. I kinda was thinking drive shaft but wouldnt it still do it while off the gas? and it doesnt.

Wouldnt out of balance tires/driveshaft/axle have the same affect while accelerated or not?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply antz.

BoZ

Wooders
20-02-08, 08:40 AM
Just to be clear on the vib - you feel it up through your bum, not through the steering wheel right?

Tyres - Could be wheel out of balance (even a nice little chunk of mud can do that).
Prop shaft - Do a quick check on the driveshaft that it hasn't taken a hit or flicked a weight.
Arm bushes - Flogged bushes can cause vibs - but will normally occur at low speed too.

Personally I;d try rotating all your tyres and see if that makes ANY difference....and obviously this is the cheapest thing to test ;)