Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting my XJ a lift.

Default Getting my XJ a lift.

Hey guys, This is my first post,

I Currently Have a 1997 XJ, which is a european import. I have a 2.5L 4cyl Engine, Petrol, which is alot better on $$$ compared to my dads 98 XJ which is the standard 4L Straight 6. Anyways,

if i get a 2" lift and then get some bigger tyres, with a bit more width, will my engine/gear box have any troubles or should it be all good, Its not the fastest car haha, but its got enough torque . Hopefully in the next few weeks should be getting, Bullbar, Snorkle, New tyres (as big as possible) and a lift kit depending on what you guys reckon, I go to stockton alot and hit up the sand dunes and would like to get it abit more muddier .

here are some pics

Default Re: Getting my XJ a lift.

With that little 4 banger, your going to have to get deeper gears if you get much bigger tyres...or your Dad will be laughing at you and traffic gets backed up while you struggle to maintain a decent speed onroad on the first hill you come to.
    What transfer case does that Euro have??

And "WELCOME" btw...
    It is not he who gives abuse that affronts, but the view that we take of it as insulting; so that when one provokes you it is your own opinion which is provoking.<br /><br />–Epictetus

Ummm not sure, how do i check? I'll go ARB and see wot they reckon, but ye thanks for the quick reply .

Btw its a manual too if that helps, and i just wikied transfer case, In 4wd i got High and low, if thats wot you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by ValiumMm
    Ummm not sure, how do i check? I'll go ARB and see wot they reckon, but ye thanks for the quick reply .
    Crawl up under the Jeep and look for a little red and silver circular tag on the transfer case itself...

it'll look something like this...

It is not he who gives abuse that affronts, but the view that we take of it as insulting; so that when one provokes you it is your own opinion which is provoking.<br /><br />–Epictetus

Should be NP231J
    Before you go too berko I'd be having a long hard think about:
    1. How big the BIGGEST tyres you plan to run in the future.
    2. How much $$ you plan to spend - and split it between parts & Labour....remember the more spanner spinning you do yourself the more $$ for the parts & vis versa.
    3. Have fun driving the snot out of it

I think the 4cyl also comes with 4.11 ratios instead of the 3.55 in the petrol or the 3.73 in the diesel. You may get away without regearing because of this if you only go to 31's, which will be the max on 2" of lift anyway.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

I Couldnt find anything that looked like that, took a pic of my diff with a number on that if that helps, and also a picture of where i think the sticker/tag might have been cos it looks like there was something there and its come off

and yes lots of sand,,, not sure if the number on the diff will help but thought id put it up anyways.

So that's the front diff a Dana 30, the tag your after is on the transfercase Like Wooders said a NP231, same as in the TJ.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Ye i had a look and couldnt find anything looking like a sticker at all. Is there anyway else i can check?