Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Getting my XJ a lift.

Default Re: Getting my XJ a lift.

sure will be happy to take it of your hands if you dont require it anymore hahaha

Hey Valium, check out http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/index.php?topic=522.0 for some other ideas on a nice XJ!! hehe...

My version of planning a 4wd upgrade is very similar to Wooders
    Decide what size tyres you want in the long term.
    Build the suspension and drive train to suit tyres.
    Try to do each thing only once
    Consider your budget, cos there is always more to buy and it can get expensive very fast. Take the time to plan the order of your upgrades, including things like any bar work, lights, etc as well as suspension.

But first, learn to drive it stock and have fun it, then modify it and you will appreciate the mods more as well as your own driving skills!

31's will squeeze under a 2" lift, but really a 3" lift is better. Only real issue you get is some angle on the driveshaft pinions, but its not too bad. If you want big 33's, you want 5" lift... anything bigger than 33's you will be changing out diffs to something stronger.

Take your time to look around and get the right info, like the old adage says, cut twice and measure once... err, ummm, other way round!

Yeh Jaffas, I would love to have something like that eventually, But atm the only thing holding me back is that my Little 4 banger might struggle alot with big tyres, or ill have to get some really low gears happening, I think i will be looking at 3" lift with 31's. My car is at the mechanics atm, and said my rear suspension is far stuffed, so i might aswell do my lift now instead of getting new shocks and coils then getting a lift, cos thats just a waste, Do you guys reckon my Car will be fine without changing the gears on 31" tyres ??.

Also Jaffa, how much did your lift kit cost?? if you wouldnt mind, Just for wondering. its A very hot Car

With the stock lower diff ratios of the 4 it should cope with 31's OK, check on http://www.naxja.org as its a US site and they ran the 4 as well over there so you should get some real world opinions

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Val, I'll send you a PM with costs, but the order I did things was
    - slip yoke eliminator with rear shaft and full 2.5" exhaust
    - complete diff rebuild with 4.56 and arb lockers after I filled both diffs with mud at the last victorian jambo
    - 5.5" suspension and the tyres/wheels
    - the wheel guards because the new tyres rubbed heaps

Basically you start with choosing which wheels/ tyres you want at the end, then first mod is to build the the drive train to cope, put the suspension in, and the wheels are last thing.

Agree with Steve, the torque in the XJ's should be enough for the 4cyl to cope, if you use your gears wisely. basically, the bigger the tyres, the lower the engine revs for the same speed.

Hey Guys, Question, When i get quotes for lift kits etc, It goes up in value quite a bit per ". Wouldnt it be cheaper to find out what size i need for a 4" lift for the shocks and coils, Then get it fitt. Because its 1700 for example for a 2" lift then for 4" its about 4k. My question is, do the shocks and coils cost that much, Because a stock F250 probably has bigger shocks than me on a 4" lift and wouldnt cost 4k+ to get standard springs fitt. Dont no if this is a noob question but thought i should ask, As my mechanic has said the back springs are about to go so i might aswell do my lift now. Any thoughts.

Regards, Alex

Thanks again fellows

I've never done a lift, but I've researched them quite a bit (doing one next year).

From what I've read, its all the other things like drive shafts, tracks bars (panhard rods), control arms, etc that you need to replace to keep the geometry correct. as you go higher, the more changes you need to make to keep things working correctly.

An F250 might have bigger springs and shocks, but their suspension, drivetrain and steering has been designed to accomodate them.

I would imagine you'd incur the same problems and costs as you pushed a F250 past the limits of its stock suspension design.

Yeh thats true, i just found this link

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...udget_Lift.htm

And they do a budgjet lift, and just go me thinking. At the moment i have been quoted 3,500 Fitted for a 4" lift and $3200 for a 3" lift. They said anything over 2 and to 4" is roughly about the same cost. ARB is 1700 for a 2" lift and they wont go any higher.
    They also said about $650 for getting it fitted, which is included in that price but wondering if you guys recommend any lift kits that would be reliable and fairly cheap and they just get them to fitt it for me.

Regards, Alex

XJ lifts are pretty easy to fit. If you have the room put on a BBQ and organise a wrenching day and you'll get help and guidance and have it done in a day and save the $650

Cheers Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076