Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Think I picked up a bargain winch :)

Default Think I picked up a bargain winch :)

Think I just picked up a bargain, 8500lb T-Max winch for $400 on ebay, new and includes the wireless remote etc etc, even shipping from Perth to Sydney in that price (I think they stuffed up with that one but are honoring it).

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=200277352604

Now I gotta start on that winch bar

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Default Re: Think I picked up a bargain winch :)

Nice! modify exisiting bar or start from scratch? going by your previous bar efforts and with that camper, I'll be looking forward to seeing what you make up

I'll start from scratch I think, I have some ideas on how I want this bar to look so may as well take my time and start over. The current bar doesn't really stick out enough anyway to mount a winch on it even if I did beef it up for one.

Cheers
    Steve

Cut into the grill! and mount it half in and half out! Exactly what an XJ needs, reduced cooling capacity!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with Steve.

From all the requests you get every time you post up a pic of your work, I reckon you'll get plenty of interest from ppl to buy your current one off you

Winch turned up today, roller fairlead is on the way.

Very happy with the deal, the solenoid box is over $200 when sold separately (there is one on ebay 2nd hand for $80 at the moment though). Anyway, pulled the solenoid box apart and found the cable outlets are sealed with o-rings and the base plate has a lip on the iside to seal that as well. I think I'll add a smear of silicon on the base plate though just to make sure.

The controller is wireless but also comes with an adapter and cable if the battery in the hand controller plays up or goes flat.

And the bar design I think I'll go with. Trick but should be different to the standard ARB bar you see on XJ's

Possibly with a hoop on the top

Anyway, winch comes apart for a look over and checking grease etc soon and then I'll start measuring up for the bar.

Cheers
    Steve

cool idea for a bar i saw recently: rock crawling lights built into in front/above the wheels

room something like that in that XJ design?

I've already got rock lights but that's not a bad idea as I have smashed one in the few years they've been there.

Cheers
    Steve

Here's what I'll be building, any suggestions? Spent a few hours making the model of the bar this afternoon.

Ignore the fact it's on a pre 97 XJ, mine's a 2000, I just couldn't be bothered getting rid of the lower valance etc.

Thinking of putting a small stinger on it, I might also lengthen the wings on the sides a bit. Off to grab the steel tomorrow hopefully.

Cheers
    Steve

Fitting some Dana 60's too? Those diffs look massive.