Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmition questions on a 09 wrangler

Default Transmition questions on a 09 wrangler

Hi, Im looking at buying a new 09 Wrangler sport with the Renegade package, my question is the old one about manual vs automatic and which one has the best resale value. The dealer is pushing hard to get me into the automatic, I suspect its because the manual is 6 weeks away and he wants the sale now. It would seem that the r/h drive comes standard with auto and that not many are made with the 6sp manual. Would that make them (the manual) worth more later?

Im interested in opinions on the matter...

Thanks

Default Re: Transmition questions on a 09 wrangler

I was looking around to possibly upgrade to a new JK last month and looked at quite a few dealers all over Australia. Just about every dealer in WA had nothing BUT manuals so I don't know about the "rarity" of a 6 speed.
    And right now, if I had my choice, it would be a manual JK over an auto...
    It is not he who gives abuse that affronts, but the view that we take of it as insulting; so that when one provokes you it is your own opinion which is provoking.<br /><br />–Epictetus

Hi mate
    I just read in the newspaper today they r selling v6 petrol wrangler 2 door sport manual renegade pack for 35000 drive away. Try a couple of dealers and you will find manual tranny ready in stock.

Cheers
    Mani

Forgot to add ring Penrith Jeep and talk to Guy Oakes. He will give u correct info.

Cheers

If you suffer from ELLS disease ( Epileptic Left Leg Syndrome ) well a manuals your choice to ease the pain :P. Prefer an auto, no stalling, crawls just as well as a manual, but you can not clutch start if neccessary but thats why we have jumper cables, Jeep clubs, NRMA etc. Easier to drive in daily commute if it's youre daily transport as well and use it off road the minority of the time......
    Auto's usually add cost to the basic price?? more commission for more expensive sale??, wanting to clear current or floor stock at hand before newer plated one's arrive Not in the car sales games so will come down to your own personal choice in driveline. I'm just dreaming of getting either(auto) in my next life
    JC Member# 094

Thanks guys that cleared it up for me...... I would love some input on getting the Diesel over the Petrol, (sometimes I wish there wasn't so much choice)

Cheers

Hi mate
    If u can afford the initial cost difference go from a diesel. I have a 08 unlimited petrol auto my biggest regret is not buying a diesel. The petrol engine in the new wrangler lacks the low end grunt the diesel has. But I ran out of money so and to settle for a petrol. Diesel will give u better fuel economy than petrol plus also give u loads of low end torque.

Cheers
    Mani

Hi,
    Everything I read for months about the JK pointed consistently at AUTO. I was for years 'mr. manual diesel'. For good reason too. the main being the fuel economy and absolute hands-down low end torque. So my question when dealing with the dealer was why isn't there a diesel Rubicon?

So, off-the record answers:

1. The new auto-boxes are simply better than they have ever been. It should be noted here too, that the 'Wrangler-Unlimited', J8 military version is Diesel Auto.
    2. The petrol-manual wont be produced for much longer, neither will the diesel manual, but those options and spares etc will be around for a long time.
    3. New petrol motors will allow the simple removal of the V6 and re-insertion of a new whatever, such as a Hemi V8. This conversion can be done now (I wish too - Hemi V8 is actually spelt D-I-V-O-R-C-E).

If Diesel is your thing, the JK model that scored the highest accolades amongst it's bretheren is actually the Unlimited Auto Diesel Renegade, with the factory set 'off-road' option (electronic swaybar disconnect and locking differentials).

On the negative side of diesel JK v petrol JK, aftermarket playing around, like suspension lifts, unless you can do them yourself, are a bit more expensive. Then there is the basic element cost - check your driveaway cost between the two and add aftermarket gear to the less expensive model, to the equivalent difference in raw cost. You might be surprised.

So 'mr. manual-diesel' has become 'mr. auto-petrol', now where did I see those 4.88:1 gear ratio's again........

CraigB

Until they get that worldwide problem with the auto trans dipstick fixed and that fix retro fitted for every one already out there, manual it is...
    It is not he who gives abuse that affronts, but the view that we take of it as insulting; so that when one provokes you it is your own opinion which is provoking.<br /><br />–Epictetus

That is also true '66, however, a new vehicle model has NEVER left a production line without any fix needed. I've just said how it is at the moment - only time will tell how this model goes. Much derided earlier Jeep models are now becoming sort after. Good example was when the TJ turned up with round springs - supposedly a heresy at the time - and now?

CRB