Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scott Badman 1995 XJ Limited

Visitor

Near disaster today while Kay was on the Hume heading to Wollongong. The bolts holding the uni to the rear diff pinion sheared off resulting in a loud banging as the tail shaft hit the ground, muffler and rock light. The output shaft housing was also cracked, spraying ATF on the exhaust with plumes of smoke resulting but thankfully no ignition. Ended up limping it home in front wheel drive.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow Scott I imagine she was pretty scared by all of that. What would cause the shearing of the bolts (I've heard of them working loose but not just snapping off). Was she towing a horse float or something like that?

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by glend View Post
    Wow Scott I imagine she was pretty scared by all of that. What would cause the shearing of the bolts (I've heard of them working loose but not just snapping off). Was she towing a horse float or something like that?
    She was towing the float empty at the time, however I always figured, being a Dana 35, that an axle would go before something like this!

Must have been one hell of a fright!!!

Very odd, the tailshaft been out recently? My old Kombi (ran a 4.4lt V used to snap driveshaft bolts all the time at the wheel/CV end. Turned out any slight play in them or looseness no matter how small was enough for them to receive shock loading and snap, bear in mind though this Kombi would wheel stand so it was a BIG shock load. To stop it doing it I had to fit a wave washer and lots of loctite, would hold together just fine. So basically what I'm saying is if there was any chance they had loosened then its possible for a bit of load to snap them.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
    Must have been one hell of a fright!!!

Very odd, the tailshaft been out recently? basically what I'm saying is if there was any chance they had loosened then its possible for a bit of load to snap them.

Cheers
    Steve
    The rear driveshaft is one part I've never touched! Kay did say she felt a vibration pulling onto the M7, but it went away after a short bit.

I've already started sourcing parts to repair the damage, starting with a NP242 off SteveT today. Like new, only been tipped upside down once

Do not like this "timed out" from using/posting once already logged in... waste's a lot of time.. tried to copy this but unable to do so because I used a quote from Scott B. as informed by my comp.techs' at home.......
    ---I've already started sourcing parts to repair the damage, starting with a NP242 off SteveT today. Like new, only been tipped upside down once --- Scott's quote----.
    Haha.... lost all the smiley thingy's as well, not that impressed.........
    Have an ZJ tailshaft ?? does anyone know if it will it fit an XJ( both have/had a D35 diff)-- length issues etc??. You can have it Scott if needed ( least you know it will stay on even with extreme 4wd usage-- bring back the smiley thingy's please, been smiley deprieved lately??).......................Stephen T.
    Last edited by stevet; 11-04-10 at 04:02 PM.
    JC Member# 094

Visitor

the straps and small bolts on these yokes are a common fail
    replace yoke with one that takes u bolts

Hey Scott, if ya need a hand or a foot give me a hola......

Visitor

What's left of the idler pulley after today. Seems the bearings have fried themselves, with the result of the pulley falling apart from the middle. Will be checking the wreckers tomorrow for a replacement. Got to experience how quiet the motor is without the A/C bearing whining at least!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by sbadman View Post
    What's left of the idler pulley after today. Seems the bearings have fried themselves, with the result of the pulley falling apart from the middle. Will be checking the wreckers tomorrow for a replacement. Got to experience how quiet the motor is without the A/C bearing whining at least!
    I'm pretty sure a VT Commodore one is exactly the same and around $30, maybe just take it into Repco and see if the dimensions match.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076