Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginner/easy 4WD tracks near Sydney.

Default Beginner/easy 4WD tracks near Sydney.

Hi there!
    I'm new to the forums, and I'm really looking for a good local easy 4WD track.
    Something a little wider, and not too difficult.
    I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee.
    I've been wheeling before on the dunes and beaches at Stockton etc, but nothing in the bush personally.

Can someone give me some advice, or point me in the direction of some good sites, and some info for a beginner

I have a navman, some recovery gear etc.

Thanks

Default Re: Beginner/easy 4WD tracks near Sydney.

Its probably a good idea to go out on those beginner/easy tracks with someone who has some experience so that you learn something each time you go, and it is better to have another vehicle along if you get into trouble. There are some fairly easy state forest type tracks in the Watagans (north of Sydney near Morisett and through to Wollombi), but there are also some difficult tracks there that you should probably avoid. If you come along to an SJC meeting there will be heaps of information from the members attending.

I'll second what Glen said, come along to a meeting (see Calendar), join up, and there will be lots of people to talk to and trips to join.

A couple of us were looking at tracks in Glenbrook National Park recently and are planning day trips there. Also ZigZag up near Lithgow is a pretty nice place to go with tracks of all standards.

Have fun,

Dave.

Hi,
    I'm new to the "Jeep thing" as a lot of people have called it. (Although I have had 4wds for the past to many years).
    It sounds like we have the same vehicle & as many people have said in this post & others, come to the next meet in October & join the club. Learn form more experienced drivers.
    That's my plain as this is a different car to drive off road than what I have had in the past(I actually care about this one).
    I have also had the pleasure of meeting a couple members last weekend & get a good feeling from them. If they any measure to the people in this club I now I will gain a lot more experience & good friends.
    Hope to meet you all on 7th October @Wooders Garage.

Chris.
    98 ZJ Grand Cherokee(Lightly Modded), 84 CJ8, 74 CJ6,
    Lord Help me I'm in to Jeep!!!!

Wooders Garage is only at Hornsby not far from the Central Coast.
    98 ZJ Grand Cherokee(Lightly Modded), 84 CJ8, 74 CJ6,
    Lord Help me I'm in to Jeep!!!!

If you live in the central coast then Ourimbah close and is good for people learning, I'm fairly new to 4wding got my jeep just over a yr ago, and i think there is some good parts there for learning.

both photos are from Ourimbah

Visitor

Although I encourage going with someone else, as it is not only safer but more fun, there's some easy peasy tracks at Riverstone under the power lines (can't remember the street name but I am sure sbadman will fill in the details) which are good enough to get a bit of dirt on your car, or mud.

There's also the Burralow Trail at Kurrajong Heights which is a bit of fun, even moreso at night. It's not too hardcore though, we even saw a few standard cars at the camping ground halfway, but there's no way I would take MY car down it!

http://www.4x4earth.com.au/4wdtracks/trails/burralow/

The meeting sounds good, just a bit embarrassed, that's all, cause I'm a bit of a noob. Hahah.
    I'll definitely check some of these out. Thanks a bunch

speaking of the meetings, what happens at them?

In answer to Pete and Karleex .. don't be embarassed at being a newbie, we all had to start somewhere.
    You will find the people in this Club are very helpful and knowlegeable. They are also very supportive. The meeting at Wooders next Wednesday includes a BBQ and will be quite informal (as are all our meetings really).

We would love to see you both there .. if you can't make it there, our November meeting will be at Regents Park Bowling Club.
    Maggie