View Poll Results: Take a look at the linked video - you can see the traction control working in Slowmo - ? What do you

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Traction Control

10 28.57%
  • Just Get Lockers!!!

25 71.43%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jeep JK - Traction control

Default Re: Jeep JK - Traction control

If you have a Rubicon or an aftermarket locker-fit, either way you pay a lot for lockers. The TC works great and is fantastic in a unit like a Jeep. But fact is, you simply cannot beat lockers. You dont need them all the time, but you only need to have to use them that ONE time when you really do to make them pay. And sometimes just the rear locker is enough to give you that little 'edge'.

Lockers are invaluable if you do any Lone Ranger rides, which I do, most of my driving.

Doesn't mean you still wont get bogged, slide away in a climb or come guts up in a descent, then if you do, well nothing can save you anyway. Lockers in reserve - thats when you fully appreciate them and the cost is worth it.

CRB

Visitor

Ive experienced first generation traction control in the Defender 90 I used to have.
    It does work best on low traction loose terrain or slippery stuff.
    It is a reactive system which can sometimes mean by the time TC kicks in it is too late.
    There are some situations like climbing rock steps where a pre-emptive system( ie: you flick your lockers on, before the obstacle) is the go.

Heres a link to my D90 in action on the top track going up to the summit of Mt Walker
    Its slo-mo so you can see the TC quite well. (Didn't drive it too well actually got a bit close to a tree

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY_bcQjMFnk

Hey Dave, your'e not as good as Ash at hitting trees......BTW, if you dont want that 90 anymore can I have it for Christmas?

CRB

Almost nothing a big right boot doesn't fix. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CRB

Visitor

Default A little piece of mind goes ALONG way..!

In a way Hunty your lucky you have a manual and you get to choose which way you want to go, with the auto box when I engage low range it automatically turns the traction control off and I cant re-engage it so I did want you are thinking of and put in an ARB Rear locker, didn’t get front at the time because the guys at St Peters ARB said every Wrangler with a D30 front axle has been damaged not long after placing a front locker in without drive shaft &/or axle modifications and at the time I didn’t really want to go down that path so went rear only and I have to say without a doubt the best $1200 Ive ever spent... Better then 35 inch Mickey T's, better then a long range tank to get high flow.

The locker is fantastic you either engage before hand if you think its looks dicey or wait till you’re in struggle town (granted in a Jeep not often) push the button and off you go...

I so impressed Im upgrading the front axle to a D44 with a 1350 drive shaft just to get a front one and if that makes me a lazy 4WDer Im fine with that, I'll wait for everyone up the top

IMHO and everyone is different and whats different things...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Maaaaaaaaate
    I am very jealous - I read your appreciation of the rear locker and NOW I WANT !
    I am shocked - your post says that in Low range you have no traction control - are my eyes deceiving me? or is the Auto that special - I rely heavily on my traction control - for me it counts as having almost 1 locker - LoL
    The price you paid for the locker - is that it $1200.00 @ St Peters ARB
    cheers Hunty
    Luv My Jeep!

Default Replaced the dead link to youtube with a live 1

Hi Guyz
    I just noticed the youtube link was dead -so i have posted a new video and linked it again - I hope LoL.
    anyway I will post it here as well - sorry its not in slow mo - My beautiful wife shot this 1 for me on her iPhone - it shows just useful traction control can be ! - and yes I wish I had lockers!!!!!!! - enjoy - cheers Hunty
    Last edited by Hunty; 20-04-10 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Hmmm,cant embed to youtube albums :(
    Luv My Jeep!

Low range on all JKs will turn off ESP.

The system has three settings: On, Partial On, and Off. The settings that are available to the driver are dependent upon what position the transfer-case shifter is in.

2HI offers On and Partial On (by pressing the "ESP OFF" switch);
    4HI offers On, Partial On (by pressing the "ESP OFF" switch), and Off below 40 mph (by pressing and holding down the "ESP OFF" switch until it says ESP OFF on the LCD in dash);
    4LO only offers Off (this is automatically set when you go into 4LO).

Dont confuse ESP with BLD.

ESP enhances directional control and stability of the Jeep. It corrects for over- and understeering conditions using brake actuation and reduction of throttle to help the Jeep maintain a desired path.

BLD (Brake Lock Differential) apply braking force to an axle's spinning wheel in order to provide an equal amount of torque to each wheel and deliver greater traction for rock-crawling over severe off-road terrain.
    BLD is designed for off-road operation and automatically activates when driving in 4 Low.

You can read more about BLD from Jeep engineers on the Chrysler blog: http://blog.chryslerllc.com/blog.do?p=entry&id=270
    Last edited by casey; 16-03-10 at 08:34 PM.

Thanks Casey for explaining the difference. You must be a Jeep fanatic to research all the info.

Mani

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by Hunty View Post
    Maaaaaaaaate
    I am very jealous - I read your appreciation of the rear locker and NOW I WANT !
    I am shocked - your post says that in Low range you have no traction control - are my eyes deceiving me? or is the Auto that special - I rely heavily on my traction control - for me it counts as having almost 1 locker - LoL
    The price you paid for the locker - is that it $1200.00 @ St Peters ARB
    cheers Hunty

Yep $1200 installed and at the time they gave you a free air compressor which is the larger one for tyres as well...

Casey - I maybe getting the traction control confused with ESP when I engage 4L the light on the dash comes up saying 'No ESP' (basically) and I naturally assumed that would also disengage traction control as well... I must say though I had my Jeep about 10 months before a locker and while it was very capable I never noticed the traction control at all in fact the whole reason I invested in a locker was attempting what I now call 'Locker Hill' up near Mt Walker when trying to get up an unreal rock self cliff and I got half way and just couldn’t get the traction I needed so winched out, went to ARB got the locker, went back the following weekend and got all the way...

As I said best $1200 Ive ever spent...
    Last edited by casey; 17-03-10 at 07:57 PM. Reason: cassie is a girls name.