View Poll Results: Take a look at the linked video - you can see the traction control working in Slowmo - ? What do you

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Traction Control

10 28.57%
  • Just Get Lockers!!!

25 71.43%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jeep JK - Traction control

Last edited by Hunty; 16-03-10 at 08:14 PM. Reason: fixed the dead link
    Luv My Jeep!

Visitor

Default Re: Jeep JK - Traction control

The biggest mistake I see from JK drivers without lockers is they back off before the traction control has a chance to start working. With lockers or open diffs you're always aware of their presence, and that doesn't change dynamically.

Once you learn to drive in harmony with the T/C though, the fact that it doesn't require flicking on and off manually everytime you get stuck like a manual locker, doesn't affect behaviour on the road like an auto locker, and doesn't wear out like a conventional LSD, the JK traction control is a very good thing!

Totally agree Scott. And the video is a great example of good wheel placement and patient driving for the terrain. Also I believe that pre-TC driving techniques often influence 'opinions' offered to people driving TC equipped vehicles,

whilst i agree that the JK traction control system works very well...i still dont think there is any substitue for lockers....

Quote Originally Posted by sbadman
    The biggest mistake I see from JK drivers without lockers is they back off before the traction control has a chance to start working. With lockers or open diffs you're always aware of their presence, and that doesn't change dynamically.

Once you learn to drive in harmony with the T/C though, the fact that it doesn't require flicking on and off manually everytime you get stuck like a manual locker, doesn't affect behaviour on the road like an auto locker, and doesn't wear out like a conventional LSD, the JK traction control is a very good thing!
    I agree with your analysis 100% - however it is quite hard initially to get used to accelerating slightly when traction starts to decrease!
    I went on the run last weekend just to film some hard core guyz with crawler gears and lockers - I was'nt planning to attempt the rut as I was 1.being a wimp 2. didn't want to scratch my car (as did all the others b4 me) 3. didnt want to embarrass myself by getting stuck - anyway they talked me into it (I suspect just so they could laugh,point and post videos of me being winched on Youtube) and to my surprise the jeep was the only car to make it up without stopping!!! - the locked crawler gear Isuzu took 30min to negotiate the rut the cruiser needed to be winched and the nissans needed to stop and backup etc - ill post a link soon to the youtube vids of the other 4x4s attempting the rut - so all you jeep lovers out there can see just how capable the JK is - cheers Hunty
    Luv My Jeep!

I’ve only had my JK a few months and I was relying on my lockers all the time but on the last Menai trip Stephen T caught me out and told me to try keeping them off and to only use them as a least resort if I got stuck. He suggested (insisted) that I learn to trust and use my traction control so I could slow down, pick my line more easily and walk over the obstacles rather than go blasting up the climbs all locked up relying engine power and momentum.

At the last Newnes trip Stephen T (and everyone else) kept hassling me over the radio to keep my lockers off so I did and was stunned at how easily the JK climbed over even the most rutted out climb. I could keep my speed down and avoid getting any suspension bounce as I "walked" it up. When I needed more power I just eased it on, never loosing traction once. I didn't use my lockers all day and was left wondering when they are really necessary.

I did my driver training with the TLCC the weekend after Newnes and all the instructors commented that I was obviously more experienced than the “new” drivers and encouraged me to put my name down for the next advanced driver training course. Of course I wasn’t that much better than anyone else there, the JK just made me look like I was.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my lockers but by not using them all the time I’m learning to be a much better driver. The Traction Control is there so you should learn how to use it with the lockers off. Besides the car doesn’t turn well (hard to avoid big rocks and trees) and the load on all the running gear is increased dramatically with the lockers on so it makes sense to only use them when you absolutely need them. And of course it’s always a good idea to leave another gun in the arsenal for when the tracks get really rough.

i rarely use the lockers. the traction control does a prety good job on its own.

but then again, i've hardly used the jeep at all the last few months.

hoping to change that over summer

Quote Originally Posted by casey
    i rarely use the lockers. the traction control does a prety good job on its own.

but then again, i've hardly used the jeep at all the last few months.

hoping to change that over summer
    Hi Casey - do you have a rubicon or did you get the lockers fitted? if so - where and approx how much? - cheers Hunty
    Luv My Jeep!

got a rubicon.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunty
    I went on the run last weekend just to film some hard core guyz with crawler gears and lockers - I was'nt planning to attempt the rut as I was 1.being a wimp 2. didn't want to scratch my car (as did all the others b4 me) 3. didnt want to embarrass myself by getting stuck - anyway they talked me into it (I suspect just so they could laugh,point and post videos of me being winched on Youtube) and to my surprise the jeep was the only car to make it up without stopping!!! - the locked crawler gear Isuzu took 30min to negotiate the rut the cruiser needed to be winched and the nissans needed to stop and backup etc - ill post a link soon to the youtube vids of the other 4x4s attempting the rut - so all you jeep lovers out there can see just how capable the JK is - cheers Hunty
    We managed to get a near stock GU up there yesterday - no lockers, bald all terrains!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEGxNEPQUs0