View Poll Results: Take a look at the linked video - you can see the traction control working in Slowmo - ? What do you

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Traction Control

10 28.57%
  • Just Get Lockers!!!

25 71.43%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jeep JK - Traction control

when you start to slip or lose traction in a JK, you gotta floor it. Thats what makes it work the best, locked, loaded, low range, add TC, done - or rolled. So big deal.

Ash74

Casey
    Confused is ESP traction control? I have a v6 four door manual and do not rate 4 hi with ESP as am always stalling

ESP is not traction control but a stability control system. The system uses a computer which monitors and calculates various things such as the steering angle and/or comparing the speed of the individual wheels with each other and a bunch of other associated stuff to determine if the car is acting in an uncontrolled manner or not. If it decides that it isn’t it will activates the brakes the brakes independently to bring the car back under driver control. It is a great active safety measure that is fitted to most cars now days but unfortunately the Jeep system sometimes decides to lend a helping hand when it isn’t necessary which causes the dreaded “death wobbles” that you may have heard about. An overactive ESP system in combination with the ABS and Traction Control can also have a spectacularly disastrous affect when driving on sand too. Try searching for “burning JK at Stockton” on Google.

The ESP system is primarily intended for road use and switches off automatically in low range as the driving inputs while 4WDing over rough terrain may cause the system to activate when it isn’t required. Many drivers are not satisfied with this and want to disable the ESP system in high range as well. There are a number of ways to do this which I won’t attempt to describe now, try searching “ESP disable” on our club site and Google.

The ESP, ABS, Traction Control and other electronic driver assistance systems are all controlled by the same computer and are similar but different, it is all well described in your manual and on the net if you search for it.

tony im pretty sure that the esp doenst have anything to do with the death wobbles.... dw are 99.9% of the time caused by worn components or incorrect settings (caster)
    also im pretty sure that the esp only switches off in low range with the rubi, im sure someone will correct me if im wrong but in the non rubi models the esp remains on to some degree... hence alot of people feel there is no need for lockers when the jk system works so well... and it does....

So being a non JK owner/driver, I am reading that the ESP turns off in L4wd or partially as may be or not, but the Traction control ( drive to wheels, not braking as in ESP function ) remains on in L4wd......... Two totally seperate programme's/functions linked to the same Jeep computor..............
    From what I have seen from outside is that most JK drivers are not aware they have T/C or how it works for them in most off road situations. Learning to use it & trust it's capacities is the hard thing. It amaze's me everytime I see one straight from the box so to speak perform so well. I think every driver takes a little time to adjust and catch up to the Jeep abilities........... Even the non- rubi models.........
    JC Member# 094

i thin your right steve.. i was getting confused between esp and t/c

Braked Locked Diff (aka Traction Control) does work to some degree but it does require a different way of driving to get the best from it. You need to put your foot into the throttle (or go to the peak in the torque band) when you start to lose traction (sort of counter intuitive) but this causes more torque to be applied to the wheel with grip. The ABS sensors see the spinning wheel and apply the brakes to that wheel (in a pulsating fashion), this distributes more torque to the other wheel. BLD is not turned off when you disable ESP, or put it into low range, it is always there. In my opinion CRDs benefit the most from BLD because they have more torque to utilise, but having said that they are not a substitute for a locker but a reasonable compromise for those that dont' have one.

Cheers
    Glen
    Last edited by glend; 27-11-10 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by casey View Post
    Low range on all JKs will turn off ESP.

The system has three settings: On, Partial On, and Off. The settings that are available to the driver are dependent upon what position the transfer-case shifter is in.

2HI offers On and Partial On (by pressing the "ESP OFF" switch);
    4HI offers On, Partial On (by pressing the "ESP OFF" switch), and Off below 40 mph (by pressing and holding down the "ESP OFF" switch until it says ESP OFF on the LCD in dash);
    4LO only offers Off (this is automatically set when you go into 4LO).

Dont confuse ESP with BLD.

ESP enhances directional control and stability of the Jeep. It corrects for over- and understeering conditions using brake actuation and reduction of throttle to help the Jeep maintain a desired path.

BLD (Brake Lock Differential) apply braking force to an axle's spinning wheel in order to provide an equal amount of torque to each wheel and deliver greater traction for rock-crawling over severe off-road terrain.
    BLD is designed for off-road operation and automatically activates when driving in 4 Low.

You can read more about BLD from Jeep engineers on the Chrysler blog: http://blog.chryslerllc.com/blog.do?p=entry&id=270
    Thought I would bump Casey's post up regarding ESP,BLD etc..........
    JC Member# 094