Thread: "Obstructed" Number Plate

Default "Obstructed" Number Plate

So I got pulled over this morning for an "Obstructed" Number Plate. Cop asked me to explain why my number plate was obstructed and informed me it came with a $385 fine and 3 demerit points. I wasn't entirely sure what he was talking about so I asked him to show me. Apparently my toe bar/ball was partially obstructing some of my letters and numbers on the rego pate. So I asked if I took it off now would that be OK? Anyway he let me go with a warning once I removed it which was good of him. Note: this is not a bash all cops post, they have a job to do and so be it, I'm just stoked he didn't fine me

What I was after was info from anyone who has relocated their number/rego plate to anywhere else on the rear of a TJ wrangler? Are there any legal requirements as to where it can or cant be? Where is the best spot to put it etc...

Default Re: "Obstructed" Number Plate

I cant remember the exact details but it must be within a certain distance of the ground, it's on the RTA website under the ADR requirements. I know it's pretty high though as mine is legal and mounted on the centre of my spare tyre (on the XJ).

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

My mate had his mounted on a v8 supercar spoiler in the centre air intake and when he got done i think it was had to be readable from a 45 degree angle in any direction. Not sure about height though.

They are currently targeting jeeps and subaru's at the moment.

I had to remove both the treg coupling and the rear tyre and report to the local station to show it had been rectified to receive a warning instead of a fine and demerit points.

We will have to find another location for it as it is a pain to remove the treg coupling each time (the goose neck is rusted in place) and the spare takes to much room in the cabin space

I moved mine up onto the spare tyre over the weekend, damn thing keeps getting torn off the back bumper

Quote Originally Posted by Miraz
    I moved mine up onto the spare tyre over the weekend, damn thing keeps getting torn off the back bumper
    doesnt it just

Almost ripped mine off at the Watagans trip today! Luckily Manni saw it before I lost it!