Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Simpson Desert Trip July 2010 (2nd Attempt)

Sounds like fun!

Dave is off to Tumut this long weekend but I believe he will be posting up a detailed track update in the coming days. I spoke to him yesterday and it sounds like things are drying out around Innaminka at last.

Cheers Glen

Hi All,

Dave back from Tumut, and while this is a little premature (still three weeks today until we set out from Broken Hill) a Track update.

As you know, all roads are open from Broken Hill to Birdsville as planned on the "Alternate Route" on the itinerary. We cannot cross the Warburton Creek to get to Poepple Corner. We will go up the Birdsville Track - using the Cooper Creek Ferry which is running - and head all the way to Birdsville. If the ferry is jammed with several days of traffic waiting to cross we will re evaluate then, there are other possibilities. I am hoping that as we will get there approx Thursday lunch that there won't be too much traffic.

From Birdsville we head West over Big Red. The plan is to do a bush camp on Eyre Creek. Eyre Creek is now crossable via the bypass track, but unless we get there with a lot of spare time, I have not at this point planned to go further West than this, but, well, we shall see when we get there. As it is now possible to do a full East West desert crossing, the claypans West of Big Red should be navigable, and if our timing is right...

After returning to Birdsville we head to Innaminka as per the Itinerary. At 4.52 this afternoon, SA Transport updated with;

Innamincka to the Border via Arrabury Turnoff - 4WD Only - 4wd only - caravans not recommended . Caution at Sandy sections ,creek crossings and washouts. Single lane detours some sections and road plant working - speed restrictions apply., 4wd only - caravans not recommended. Caution at creek crossings, sandy sections and washouts. single lane detours some sections. road plant working - speed restrictions apply., 4wd only -caravans not recommended.Caution wet areas ,numerous detours and rain damaged sections.
    Mungeranie to Kalamurina - Open to all vehicles

That’s the Cordillo Downs Road open, so we are all systems go!

From Innaminka all roads are currently open as per the plan.

I will call Innamincka and Mungerannie a week before we leave and post any updates, but so far things are looking pretty positive!

Last but not least, does anyone want to / need to meet up next weekend, or the one after? Please let me know!

Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 14-06-10 at 10:09 PM.

More good news. Posts on ExploreOz, from people that have used the Birdsville Track Ferry this year say that with the new engines the ferry only takes 8 minutes per crossing, so that is about 4 return trips per hour, much better than the originally predicted 2 per hour.

The ferry operator reported that in one day he completed 44 return crossings, so fingers crossed we won't get held up there too long, and will get from Lake Eyre to Mungerannie in one day as planned.

Dave

Only 11 more sleeps till departure (or maybe less for some).

Hi All,

Hope everyone is just about ready! As Glen said, only a week and a half to go.

I haven't had any messages from anyone wanting to meet up before setting off, but we have had some good preparation discussions at club meetings. Remember, any questions, email, PM or call me.

I hope everyone has had a good service and inspection. I did, two stuffed engine mounts, so the service was $420 more than expected, but better to find that out here, than where services cost more, if you can get to a garage.

One other thing that can be very useful to take with you. A spare key! I have two that work the remote central locking etc, but as one is often in the ignition and one in my luggage (often in the car) it is a good idea to have a key on a string round your neck just in case the car gets locked by accident. In Sydney, not a big problem. North of Marree, well, there are lots of rocks.

According to all the websites, all the roads are open - at least to 4WD's - so all systems go!

Dave

Just a quick question, are we bring a Sat phone on the trip with us? I think we should, just in case... so just wondering if we had any arrangements to hire/borrow one, or do we need to look into that?

Service all done on my car, a few linkages replaced in steering that were very sloppy. Just gotta get my tyre carrier sorted out and we should be good to go!

I had considered hiring one - especially when the plan was to spend two full days in the desert. The Desert Parks Pass info came with a flyer for hiring a Sat Phone, with a price list etc...

When the trip got less remote - as we can't cross the Warburton, I thought a sat phone might not be so necessary. Having spoken to quite a few people out there recently, given our planned route, the traffic on it and our having an 8 vehicle convoy, they have agreed that we should not need one.

So, I have not done any more about hiring one. For 2 weeks from ARB or the group that advertised in the Parks info the rental cost is $300 - before any calls are made.

What does everyone think? Does anyone else want to take responsibility for hiring one if we all chip in for the cost? ARB Wentworthville does rent them, does anyone live nearby for ease of pick up and return?

Dave

Unfortunately my old EPIRB is out of date and the frequency is no longer monitored, as I would have brought it. I don't mind the cost but it would have to be a shared cost, and only if most agree to it. I think despite the planned route and possibly being able to reach help on the UHF (subject to someone actually listensing all the time), the Sat phone gives people more peace of mind and ensures immeadiate contact if something happens (like a vehicle rollover, snake bite, etc). From a peace of mind perspective I think it probably is a reasonable cost when shared (and not used to ring to check the Lotto numbers).

Glen
    Last edited by glend; 23-06-10 at 06:36 PM.

Visitor

LOL Glen are you sure we can't call to check lotto numbers?!! Adam and I would be happy to chip in towards the cost of hire of a sat phone if most people agree. We are nearly ready to go with the car going in tomorrow for wheels/tyres to be fitted and the big service happening on Friday. Adam is installing the radio on Sunday (so no 4x4 masters - sorry guys!), and then we will be good to go. What size water tank/carrier are people taking? That's one last thing we need to get.
    We will be leaving Sydney Thurs afternoon (8 more sleeps!!) - Orange Thursday night - Cobar Friday - Broken Hill Saturday. We are staying in a cabin at the Broken Hill City Caravan Park so be sure to check if we are around when you arrive!
    Dave - thanks for the ongoing updates. It's shaping up to be an amazing trip!