Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Simpson Desert Trip July 2010 (2nd Attempt)

Default Simpson Desert Trip July 2010 (2nd Attempt)

As there was a lot of interest at the December Meeting, and I managed to hand out 10 itineries in about 10 seconds, I thought that I'd get this proposal in now.

We tried to organise a Simpson Desert trip for July 2009, but in the end the weather / flooding in the desert and Lake Eyre, and the economy were against us.

So, trying again in 2010, and already have a couple of firm expressions of interest.

Proposed Trip from Sydney to Poeppel Corner in the Simpson Desert and Back - July School Holidays 2010
    Saturday 3 to Friday 16 July 2010 – 14 Days total. (11 Days Broken Hill to Cobar)
    Via
    Broken Hill,
    Wilpena Pound in the Flinders Ranges,
    Marree,
    Lake Eyre,
    Birdsville Track,
    Poeppel Corner (Weather / Track conditions permitting)
    Big Red and the Birdsville Hotel,
    Innaminka,
    Old Strezlecki Track,
    Cameron’s Corner,
    Tibooburra
    White Cliffs.
    And many other beautiful, historic Australian vistas!

So why aren’t I proposing a full 650 km Simpson Desert crossing from Oodnadatta to Birdsville? We can, but if you drive a diesel you need to be able to carry at least 140 litres of fuel. If you drive a 6 cylinder 4 litre petrol, you need to carry 180 litres. To be discussed.

If you would like an itinerary, I can email you a pdf version. Please PM or email me with your email address, otherwise I will bring more copies to the February meeting.

Dave

Default Re: Proposed Simpson Desert Trip July 2010 (2nd Attempt)

Interest expressed Dave.....

V

Hey dave, are you running this trip or is it part of an organised tag along tour with a tour operator?

If its just a club trip id be interested in hiring a fourby and doing the trip - dont think my tj would be the best desert tourer

Hi Aza,

Definately not a private Tag Along. I did do a Simpson crossing with Misty Mountains Tours in 2007, then another club member asked if I could organise a trip for 2009 - which fell through for reasons stated above. This is a club trip, the only money involved is for your costs.

If you PM me with your email address (it isn't attached to your details, but 'V's were) then I can send you a Proposed Itinerary.

Dave.

Yes Dave, I hope to go (again). I also have another expression of interest from a mate in Qld who drives a KJ (George and Mrs H).

Wow, a lot of early interest.

I'm keeping a tally of people that have posted here and contacted me separately by PM or email, and we are already up to 8 vehicles. I have emailed off several itineraries, I hope they have been useful.

I think that the absolute maximum that we could handle is 10 vehicles, I'm sure that in the next 5 months we will get a great group together!

Please bring questions and items for discussion to Feb meeting.

Dave.

There is some concern about Tropical Cyclone Olga, which seems to be dropping a lot of rain in Western Qld. Last year 2009 the Simpson Desert was cut off by flooding from Western Qld down into Lake Eyre. Full crossings were not possible until August 09, and the Warburton Crossing (my planned way to go) was closed all year due to deep mud.

We will have to wait and see what Nat Parks SA say on March 16 when they re-open the desert.

I'll keep you posted as I hear about conditions.

Dave

Default Re: Simpson Desert Trip July 2010 (2nd Attempt)

Plenty of interest in the trip at the Feb Meeting, and more itineraries handed out. I got a few questions about the weather. We will still go if the Warburton is cut, but will have to take the Plan B route, as explained in the itinerary. I will post as I hear about it after Nat Parks re opens the Simpson on March 16.

If anyone would like an itinerary, please PM me and I will email you one.

Keep July on your radar!

Dave

Just keeping interest up! We have 4 definite vehicles so far, and I have had about 4 expressions of interest. We will need to finalise numbers by the May meeting, so I can book Desert Parks Passes and the few camping grounds that we will visit.

There has been continuing rain in Central Aust, which is making the Warburton Crossing a bit iffy. It has not been as wet as '09, and the Lake Eyre Yacht Club (check out their web site if you don't believe me) is not expecting any significant inflows to the lake this year. We will just have to wait to see what is said about track conditions over the next few months.

We can decide whether we are crossing the Warburton or continuing up the Birdsville Track when we get there in July. It won't affect our timing at all. Remember, if we don't go up the Warburton Track, we will still go into the Simpson from Birdsville after finishing our run up the Birdsville Track. A bush camp on Eyre Creek, or even further in time and conditions permitting, will still involve crossing Big Red and many other dunes, and spending at least 2 half days and a night in the National Park. And it will still be a great trip!

Dave

with 200mm of rain at Birdsville in the last 2 days it will be awesome to see in a few months with all the flowers etc.