Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Simpson Desert Trip July 2010 (2nd Attempt)

so does this means petrol vehicles will be able to keep up on this trip without bringing their own fuel tanker?

I would still recommend that all vehicles, petrol and diesel still carry at least one Jerry. Mud is a real unknown in the equation, and even though we most likely will not be able to do Warburton, we still have some longer drives with no fuel - eg Birdsville to Innaminka is over 400kms...

We may also decide to vary our route a bit "on the fly". For example, if mud stops us getting much further West than Big Red, we could decide to head North from Birdsville to have a look at the Dingo Caves. Or if we get to Innaminka early we could head out to Coongie Lakes. Extra fuel capacity could help. All to be discussed closer to time when we have a better idea of likely conditions...

Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 08-04-10 at 04:58 PM.

Hi Dave
    Add me to the maybe list

Great Job again with the planning of this trip - it looks like it will be fantastic! - I really appreciate all the work you have put in to make this event possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I would love to attend but currently I will be on assignment in the USA from late june till early July and sadly for me i am having difficulty getting these dates locked down.
    so if numbers are not capped - I will try and get on board last minute if I can make it & if that is ok with you?
    cheers Hunty
    Luv My Jeep!

Hi Hunty,

I've added you to the maybe list on page 4 of this thread - I am editing that thread as I hear from people, so names are coming and going. If you do come, with your experience with mud and cleaning the Jeep, well send you through first to test the depth! (Joke).

Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 19-04-10 at 10:28 PM.

I'm getting quite keen... final decision to follow based on if the boss will give me leave!

I'm getting pretty 'restless' too. Am moving house after the trip to Bylong, and I just want to get out of Sydney and forget all about it.

May meeting is crunch time. I will bring registration forms as I will need names, numbers, regos etc for booking some camp sites and Desert Parks Passes. Will have one last advertising session at April meeting.

Dave

the lyndhurst hotel has some great photo's of the recent flooding in the area

http://www.lyndhursthotel.com.au/Strz1.htm

http://www.lyndhursthotel.com.au/Inna1.htm

Great Pix, thanks Heidi.

The SA Transport Outback Roads website still expects all main tracks - Birdsville and around Innaminka to reopen by mid to late May, so despite all this water we should be able to get to all main destinations. If they haven't done all road repairs it might make for some interesting driving!

Dave

Hi All, just an update. Continued interest at the club meeting last night, which is great!

I said at the meeting that I will call for final numbers at the May meeting, and will have ‘registration’ forms for those that are definitely coming. I will need details – Names, Numbers, Rego’s etc for booking some campsites and ordering Parks Passes. We have 6 definite vehicles so far, and still a heap of maybes, (I will move the list from page 2 to the message after this one) so hopefully everyone will have worked out leave etc by this time next month.

Note, we will not be able to cross the Warburton as it will be too wet for the rest of the year according to SA Transport. So we will go with the alternate route, and may ‘tweak’ it a bit as we go. For example, if we can’t get very far into the Simpson from Birdsville due to mud (we will see) we could consider heading to Innaminka a day early, and go out to Coongie lakes for a night instead. It all depends on how well things dry out over the next couple of months.

Dave

List moved again to Page 4
    Last edited by Dave; 19-04-10 at 10:27 PM.