As there was a lot of interest at the December Meeting, and I managed to hand out 10 itineries in about 10 seconds, I thought that I'd get this proposal in now.

We tried to organise a Simpson Desert trip for July 2009, but in the end the weather / flooding in the desert and Lake Eyre, and the economy were against us.

So, trying again in 2010, and already have a couple of firm expressions of interest.

Proposed Trip from Sydney to Poeppel Corner in the Simpson Desert and Back - July School Holidays 2010
Saturday 3 to Friday 16 July 2010 – 14 Days total. (11 Days Broken Hill to Cobar)
Via
Broken Hill,
Wilpena Pound in the Flinders Ranges,
Marree,
Lake Eyre,
Birdsville Track,
Poeppel Corner (Weather / Track conditions permitting)
Big Red and the Birdsville Hotel,
Innaminka,
Old Strezlecki Track,
Cameron’s Corner,
Tibooburra
White Cliffs.
And many other beautiful, historic Australian vistas!

So why aren’t I proposing a full 650 km Simpson Desert crossing from Oodnadatta to Birdsville? We can, but if you drive a diesel you need to be able to carry at least 140 litres of fuel. If you drive a 6 cylinder 4 litre petrol, you need to carry 180 litres. To be discussed.

If you would like an itinerary, I can email you a pdf version. Please PM or email me with your email address, otherwise I will bring more copies to the February meeting.

Dave