Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Simpson Desert Trip July 2010 (2nd Attempt)

Most of us are back in Sydney after a huge trip! A few unforseen incidents - such as getting stuck in Innaminka for 4 days due to rain, but I think (hope) that a great time was had by all. A more comprehensive trip report to come at the next meeting, and thanks to Jaffas who has volunteered to write about our adventures for the magazine.

Thanks to all involved.
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 20-07-10 at 02:08 PM.

For those that missed it:

SJC at the top of Big Red:

The Wet Ones:

Hello, we are back in the the 'Gong now, and have handed the hire car back. The XJ is being transported back to Sydney over the next day or so, and then we will pull the head off and see what the damage is... could be more than a gasket though... potentially quite bad... blew up about halfway between Nyngun and Dubbo. Thanks to Ian and Ann for staying till we got all the arrangements sorted. They are also safely home.

We did really enjoy the trip and are grateful the Jeep lasted till we returned to civilisation. I will be writing a 3 part report, but it might take a few weeks till I get it all together. But hopefully it can fill a few pages for a few magazine issues...

There are some great parts of Australia to get out and see, and we enjoyed all the scenery and pubs and sites.

A BIG thank you to Dave for his organisation and leading of the trip!

A note to those that tackled the mud leaving Innaminka. Had the car serviced today, and needed to clean and renew oils in both diffs and the transfer case! Lots of chocolate milkshake looking stuff! Anyone without extended breathers (yet) may want to check this out!

Dave

"FINALLY" got my stupid internet working. Kellie and i got home safe monday lunch time. Woke up late for work due to my phone still set on Broken Hill time!!!! We both had a blast... spent the weekend under then jeep tightening every bolt back on. Rear bar nuts loose, shock bar pin eliminators loose, rear left fender flare loose, disconnects loose sway bar loose, front bar nuts loose, hardtop bolts came off and i found a nut behind my seat, still dont know where it goes!!!!

Welcome to the Forum Ivan, glad you had a good time

Maggie.

After three attempts with the pressure washer and hose I have finally managed to get all the mud and sand out of the chassis rails and from on up on top of the transmission. I had to drop all the bash plates. Even the cross members were full of mud - how does that happen? Some of the "water crossings" coming out of Innamincka and Nappa Merrie were more like slushy mud baths. Checked all my fluids and no water damage (thanks to the extended breathers). When it all dries out I am thinking of spraying Lanotec inside of the rails and cross members - for next time.

I have a pile of the desert lying next to my driveway.
    Last edited by glend; 27-07-10 at 02:57 PM.

Well done Glen! I need my breathers extended as I described earlier!! My bash plates are still in a heap at Midas while I try to organise a detail - inside and out. I have already had 2 goes with the pressure washer, but I need the car up on a hoist to do a proper job. The inside of the wheels is still a problem too. Despite washing, I had to scrape out the worst of the mud that had set like concrete to get the wheels back in approximate balance.

On a positive note, the Cape is not so muddy, more sandy in the river crossings!

Dave

Bring on the Cape
    (Will have snorkel & Gas tank bash plate fitted by then).LOL
    98 ZJ Grand Cherokee(Lightly Modded), 84 CJ8, 74 CJ6,
    Lord Help me I'm in to Jeep!!!!

Good to see everyone got back alright, even if their cars did not! I've got around 800 photos from the trip, will have to see about sending them out, especially the big red sesh -James