Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Simpson Desert Trip July 2010 (2nd Attempt)

Too right Heidi. The BOM has flood warnings up for all the south western Qld and channel country river systems (including Eyre Creek, Cooper Creek, Diamantina, Parcoo, Thomson, and others). The Diamantina (at Birdsville) is up to just under the deck of the bridge. It should drain/drop fairly quickly but you have ask how much water can Lake Eyre hold before it backs up in the tributaries like Cooper and Eyre Creek. Dave is right - we will likley be forgetting the Warburton. At least the bulldust will disappear and perhaps they will grade some of the tracks as a result. Still going though! I heard the rain fall at Bridsville described by the weather guys as a once in 100 year event. It will be awesome!

Yep, and perhaps the desert will bloom as well! It is described as a beautiful sight. The wildflowers around Innaminka should be awesome as well - they were good in 2007, but now...

If the water gets down the Warburton (cutting the crossing!!!) to Lake Eyre, then we may have a pretty good view from Level Post Bay (Muloorina) when we get there.

Heidi, is this you expressing an interest? I will bring more itineraries to tonights meeting just in case we get some people that haven't been lately.

Dave.

no sorry the dessert will have to wait till next year, was just making a comment that it will be great out there with all the rain they have just received.

we will hopefully be at the tip of Australia by the time you get to Birdsville!

Hey Dave, I am definitely interested. Will just depend on getting a "permission slip" signed and if i can get leave from work. Thanks Brad

Hi All,

Lots more interest at the March meeting last night. We are now up to 5 definites and 6 maybes (People that have asked for an Itinerary but not said anything more).

Please note, to send anyone an email with an Itinerary attached I will need your email address. Please PM me and include your email address or I can't do much.

Need DEFINITE numbers at the May meeting - got to sort out Desert Parks Passes and book some camp sites.

Thanks,
    Dave.

List of definites and Maybes moved to Page 4.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 19-04-10 at 10:28 PM.

Dave,
    As much as I would like to go the minister of W & F. said to choose Lift Kit or trip. One thing a Year. So the lift Kit won out. Maybe next time. Thanks anyway & have a great trip.
    Chris
    98 ZJ Grand Cherokee(Lightly Modded), 84 CJ8, 74 CJ6,
    Lord Help me I'm in to Jeep!!!!

Hi Hunno,

That is a real shame, perhaps you can work on her - still have 2 months to final decisions. I guestimated costs in the itinerary, but I know that suspension ain't cheap.

Possibly premature here, but I have started thinking about next year. A few people have mentioned Cape York to me - so perhaps four weeks next July ish

Dave

OOOOOOO Cape Trip!!!!! Maybe able to work on that.
    Last edited by Hunno; 10-03-10 at 07:15 PM.
    98 ZJ Grand Cherokee(Lightly Modded), 84 CJ8, 74 CJ6,
    Lord Help me I'm in to Jeep!!!!

Right, an EDITED update from SA Transport, now that the desert is reopened for 2010. I have only listed tracks that we will be using in July. For full details go to http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/quick...oads/area1.asp

Issued Wednesday 17th March 2010 at 1:55pm:

Birdsville Track (Marree to Birdsville)
    • Open - Marree To Mungeranie
    • Closed - Mungeranie To Birdsville - Due to flooding between Blue Ute Bore and Birdsville - anticipated closure until mid May 2010
    Marree to Muloorina - Open to all vehicles (Lake Eyre - Level Post Bay)
    Merty Merty to Cameron Corner - Closed - Road impassable due to rain damage and washout of Strzelecki Crossing
    Innamincka to the Border via Arrabury Turnoff - Closed - Due to rain damage, Due to rain damage.and flooding. Innamincka Causeway is impassable due to flooding.

• Flinders Ranges area - caution at all creek crossings due to flood damage
    • Birdsville Inside Track - Closed due to flooding of Goyders Lagoon.
    • K1 Warburton PAR into the Simpson Desert is CLOSED until further notice due to flooding

• NATIONAL PARKS INFORMATION
    • Simpson Desert Regional Reserve and Conservation Park is OPEN. Access via Dalhousie Springs only. Flooding of the Eyre and Warburton Creeks has closed access / exit at Birdsville and Clifton Hills Station until further notice.
    So what does this mean. I really doubt that we will get across Warburton Creek in July. But we should not have any problem getting up to Birdsville on the Birdsville Track in July. We can then access Big Red etc from the East. Innaminka is also still cut off, but I would anticipate that it will reopen by mid May.

So, I am still going! Should be a real sight as the water will bring out the wildflowers etc. If you have an itinerary, we will go with "Alternate Route".

Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 17-03-10 at 04:54 PM.