Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunty's Jeep JK Extreme

Default Giant GPS / Ipad

I use VMS - GPS mapping

its not free but it is worth every cent.

You can purchase extremely detailed maps for specific areas - I have bought all the maps for the areas I usually wheel in.

I love the large HD display and tactile / intuitive response from the touch screen.

I have also added a ton of free apps to make driving fun from pitch & tilt meters to apps that can find the nearest Petrol station or Pizza joint.

I surf the net on it and get my email - I guarantee you will enjoy it

Lastly - I am still trialing it in various places in my JK and think that my next install will be above the centre mirror
    cheers Hunty

Luv My Jeep!

Default Water Crossing - adding a MSA car bra

Hi Guyz
    I am preping my Jeep for multiple water crossings (Cape Trip soon) and have appreciated everyones advice re deep water and the unsealed JK fan, and today at the 4x4 show Eastern creek I grabbed a bargain - actually it was a present from my beautiful wife - a MSA car bra.

My 2c
    1. What a well designed and well manufactured product.
    2. Great material - thick, strong and supple.
    3. Great shape - corners folded around perfectly.
    4. Plenty of attachment options inc quick release buckles.
    5. Loads of Elastic and bungy cords to really customise the final fit.
    6. Handy pocket in the front to store your wed muddy snatch strap.
    7. Strategically sewn in water release fly's to allow quick drainage when you get out of the water.

and to think that I was just going to buy a $20 blue tarp! - the MSA Bra is a superbly designed high quality product that I am sure I will use for years and years, a great man once said ("Molly") do yourself a favour and get 1.
    cheers Hunty

Luv My Jeep!

Default Remote control camping lights & Inverter upgrade.

I just bought a 4 channel remote switch from Ebay (China)
    pretty cool piece of kit for $13.00

2 remote fobs with 4 buttons ea
    1 Master control unit

The Master control unit contains 4 relays NC, NO & C

It can be programmed as momentary, self lock, and latch

I programmed mine = 1 push on - 1 push off. I think that is latch mode?

I used channel 1 for my Jeep rear storage area - where the seats used to be
    Channel 2 draws light
    Channel 3 Roof top tent
    Channel 4 lighting under my roll out awning

I also upgraded my 1500w / 3000w inverter to a 2500w / 5000w and my second batteryfrom 40amps to 105amps, i added a charger so I can top up at caravan parks etc and a volt meter to keep an eye on the state of charge etc.

Lastly I added some really bright led lights , I still need to paint them black
    but WoW they are super bright!

Luv My Jeep!

Default Jeep JK 2 dr Water storage solution

More prep for the Sydney Jeep Club trip to the Cape.

My Jeep JK will have 2 occupants - Jax (My beautiful wife) and myself!
    I need to carry at least 20L of reserve water for cooking and drinking etc aside from my main 20L of drinking water and the 2X 1.5L bottles in the front of the cab to drink on route.

I am looking for advice / comment re my plans to put 25L on the roof bars

My Plan so far is to put 3meters of 100mm pipe (+ threaded end cap) up on my roof bars with a locking tap on the back end and a manually openable valve at the top on the front (to let the air out when I fill up) I expect to get approx 25 Litres of storage.

I realise I am adding another 25+Kg's to the top of my Jeep and that when the tank is half full I will have 12+kgs of "slide Hammer" LoL

Q. Has anyone got any recommendations / cautions / advice before I fab up some brackets & weld em on?

Thanx guys in advance for any info / advice you might give!
    cheers Hunty

Luv My Jeep!

the passenger side of my Jeep is already carrying the awning so balance wise Im pretty close

I like the idea of getting rid of the water hammer and in case of Catastrophic failure I will still have 20L inside the jeep!
    Thanx again mate
    cheers Hunty
    Luv My Jeep!

Default Death Wobble - burn in steel

In prep for the soon (yes I'm getting excited) trip to the Cape I decided that I needed to sure up the JK Achilles heel ........ the front track bar mounts LoL

I don't want to be tightening up my trackbar / panhard bolts every 500km (my interval guess based on the corrugations in the OTR) so I have;

1. Changed the stupid Chrysler threaded bolts for slightly larger shanked 9/16th bolts - the threaded chrysler bolts have a tendency to file away at the holes until they get sloppy and ultimately Death wobble will ensue.

2. Cut out some 8mm thick plates from Stainless steel and drilled them with a hole exactly 9/16th...... welded them on both sides of the 2 mounts and then spent way too long trying to get the bolts and track bar back on my Jeep . hammering, bashing and much swearing LoL

My front end is now tighter than ......... hmmm..... its ever been. LoL

Cheers Hunty
    ps
    I still need to deal with my stupid steering damper.
    I used stainless steel in the hope that it will not easily get flogged out and I assume that the high tensile bolts will wear before the stainless steel plates wear! - they should be easier to replace.

Luv My Jeep!

Visitor

bit late now, but this would have done the same thing and strengthened up the whole mount too.

Default You R Right Mr S

Quote Originally Posted by 1stJeep View Post
    bit late now, but this would have done the same thing and strengthened up the whole mount too.
    Yep
    Kinda shot myself in the foot by welding it all up - now I can't easily avail myself of modern anti DW wizardry D'oh
    cheers Hunty
    Luv My Jeep!

Visitor

Hi Hunty
    I noticed you removed the rear seat in favour of a storage fit out.
    I have done the same and used the narrow space behind the front seats to install an upright flat 50ltr Boab water tank, it sits between the two axles middle of the Jeep and low so there's no impact on the centre of gravity, very handy and the water always seem to be cool. you can use it gravity fed with a hose or put a pump and taps outside the Jeep.
    There are a few photos on my profile's photo album of the install.
    Cost about $200 and comes from Boab in WA I think Opposite Lock has them (although I wouldn't use them).
    Also because its flat and tapers from the bottom up there's not (much) water hammer.
    Hope this helps.
    Shefy.

Visitor

Bought my boab 70l water tank from Opposite Lock Rockdale. I think his name is Gordon and was great to deal with.

You're right Boab is from Perth but S Africa originally.