Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunty's Jeep JK Extreme

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselcon View Post
    Nice pics hunty. Love my jeep too, even though it broke on Sunday at yalwal... Bugger.
    Maaaaaaaate
    What did you break
    Luv My Jeep!

Finally got an answer.. Some how I burnt the starter motor. Looks like solenoid stuck on and cooked starter motor and wiring. Maybe it was when I got stuck in a deep mud pit and had to winch myself out. Winch work well..LOL. .they found mud around starter motor so I guess it was the cause. Should not have happened. Will be repair under warranty which is good but I'm jeepless for another 8 days. Motor coming from Singapore. Bugger
    DIESELCON - DC Mk 2 - 2015 WK2 CRD 33" ATR's on 17" sevens, 2" lift & 2000 TJ on 35's beadlocks

Smile "Carpark King" or "I need a hoist"

Decided to replace my Ball joints this morning (OK - had the decision made for me - Whilst driving home last night my front drivers side wheel did its own little death wobble dance- Lol)

So I jacked it up early this morning at work 5am!
    Couldnt budge the succer a micro millimeter - so I rang the one and only deadset Jeep Legend / Guru - Dave Woodley "Wooders" and he kindly lent me his ball joint tool!

all seemed to be going well until i realised that i had pressed the bolt outta the top of the ball joint @#@%$@# - is this a bad thing? - see pic below

Anyway with much muttering and swearing I finally got the old ball joint out!

How the hell do you get the new one in?? - so I figured if it (the old one) pressed out I could press it (the new one) back in! - easier said than done!

BTW did I mention I that I didnt take off the disc or brakes or pulled out the axel - had some oil leak issues and just recently had the seals replaced so didnt want to disturb them!

OK It was a shed of a job to do in on the lawn at work! lol
    but at least I am mobile again!
    enjoy laughing at my pix
    cheers Hunty
    ps
    Jk ball Joints & TJ ball joints are the same - cause I just installed TJ joints in my Heap!

Luv My Jeep!

Hunty
    I like what you say...
    Mate, you need to do mine as I will be getting some ball joints from wooders on Monday.......plus the tie rods ...oh what else??It's all too much

Visitor

I Love it, Car park at work...

Smile Bye Bye Scan Gauge!

Yes!
    Finally!
    My view (skyline) out of the front windscreen of my heap has changed for the better - its now a lot less cluttered!!!.
    It was a custom order - I bought back in January - was beginning to wonder if it was going to ever arrive - I ordered Red display and black bezel / surround - to match my red / Blk Jeep!
    Hello new Aeroforce Gauge!

I changed for several reasons
    1. way more functions on the Aeroforce!
    2. there was no really good place for the scan gauge - i tried it on the steering column and on the dash in several places.
    3. the Aeroforce gauge fits nicely into my A pillar gauge pod - sweet!

I will write it up in more detail after I have had chance to evaluate it
    cheers Hunty
    Last edited by Hunty; 16-03-11 at 07:56 AM.
    Luv My Jeep!

Ur Jeep is ready for an article in 4wd Extreme mag Mate with all the technology u r putting in there...

Smile Wired HDH Switch Install - Hunty's Heap

Wired HDH Switch install

I bought the Wired HDH's to solve my switch needs - it will operate 8 devices;

The stupid daystar rockers were for me, a complete fail ! - every time I changed gear (1st,3rd or 5th) the switches would be activated by the gearstick

as any JKer knows there really isnt a lot a switch available real estate so the WiredHDH will be very popular amoungst Jeepers

I wanted to control;

Front Locker
    Rear Locker
    ARB Compressor
    Winch Master isolate
    Winch bar spotties
    Roof bar spotties
    Rock lights
    Rear spottie / work light

The System comes with a thin membrane type switch panel, a small ribbon cable and a black box for all the connections. also comes with cable + connectors and circuit breaker.

There are solid state connections for the 8 outputs, these are rated @ 2.5amps each and are continuously monitored by the cpu and if overloaded will cut out, they will cut straight back in when the current returns to <2.5a or the problem / short circuit is fixed!

There are connections for 12v+ 12v- permanent feed from battery - circuit breaker included
    and a connection for 12v in feed from acc position on ignition key.

All 8 outputs can be programmed to be ACCessory dependent or ACCessory independent.
    All 8 switches can be programmed to be on/off or momentary.

The Wired HDH system continually monitors batt voltage and will shut off Accessories (all 8 outputs) when the voltage drops to <11.5v

Armed with a bottle of Sm@rt@ss pills I began to plan the install!
    I decided that I did not require the ACC interlock option because I wanted to be able to use any of the 8 outputs independent of the Jeeps ignition.

Thats when the smart @ss pills kicked in -LoL
    In my previous installation I wired my winch master power relay through a simple key switch - I did this because I did not want anybody using my winch without my permission'

(I was mainly thinking of my L & P plate kids, stupid mates and all the urban myths that tell of landcruisers having there winches hotwired and connected over the roof to the towbar and left by hoodlums to eventually fold in half).

Then I realised that if a mechanic, parking Valet, dum@ss mates or kids were driving my Jeep that I did not want them using any of my 8 accessories either - especially the lockers!!!

so I wired the ACCessory 12v input to permanent 12v+ supply via my key switch and programmed all 8 accessories to be Accessory 12v input dependant! - Yes! SM@RT @ss pills at work!

So when I turn off the Key switch all 8 outputs are disabled! -
    I still retain the ability to re program the HDH (very simple button push sequence) so any or all 8 outputs effectively bypass the key switch lockout!

One of my next projects is to install a dual battery system but until I get it installed I can count on my new Wired HDH switch controller to kill my winch master relay at 11.5v thus saving my entire electrical system and Battery!

"Brilliant" thats all I have to say to the WiredHDH company!
    cheers Hunty

ps
    I still have a little finishing off to do under the bonnet the stupid Jaycar 60a circuit breakers cannot survive Satans sauna and I need to install a bit more convoluted cable protection!
    Luv My Jeep!

Smile More Installation details - Wired HD switches

more detail as to why I installed my Wired HDH panel the way I did

I am happy when winching to stop and let the battery recharge a little especially when it drops below 11.5v that IS the reason I wired the winch master solenoid via the WiredHDH System I want that protection! (I am about to add a huge second battery and don't expect to see 11.5v very often)

My understanding of Ohm's law (I think it was Ohm) is "as voltage drops current rises?"

ergo lets say for instance pulling a 4T Landcruiser on its belly up a steep hill currently draws 330amps @ 13.8v (I have done & observed this on my 500amp shunt meter) but if i winch too long and let the voltage drop to 11.0v then the current drain will escalate up to a whopping 414Amps?? for the same amount of pulling power

this is over 80amps difference and a significant extra stress on all electrical components ranging from alternator, Battery, cabling, relays, solenoids and the winch itself!

I am just about to install a big ;

Battery to run my 2000w inverter and assist in providing extra capacity when winching. - http://www.batteriesdirect.com.au/sh...pc2150mjt.html

I am often filming when my rig is recovering vehicles and it is my preference that my Jeep protect its self and not suffer any kind of equipment failure due to inexperienced or careless operators, who might just continue to winch until everything blows up / overheats runs flat stalls or breaks!

Location of flat panel control surface;

I chose to stick it on the top of my CB over the following other options (I'm sure there are plenty more)

On top of the steering column
    On the dash just above the instrument cluster
    On the sunvisor - I really liked this option and it came in 3rd
    On the windscreen plastic trim infront of the sunvisor - I actually installed it here - didnt like it - moved it to ontop of the cb
    On the A pillar vertically
    just above the speaker on the drivers side front
    in place of the daystar switch panel in front of the gear stick

I liked "on top of the CB" because;

Ease of accessibility when wheelin - as those of you NoN Web Wheelers will know, sometimes you have to get to your locker switches instantly (especially when you need to turn off your front locker to regain steering lol)

My beautiful copilot (who wheels with me all the time - yes I am a very lucky guy - my Mrs enjoys wheelin!) can operate the switches for me (as I said before sometimes you gotta turn off that front locker to regain steering - and if your busy sh#ting yourself LoL and are transfixed to the view out the front window, it is usefull to be able to instruct said copilot to turn em off for you LoL)

Despite all my mods and what you all think - LoL - I am not keen on digging holes into my dashboard!!!!!!! LoL

The ribbon cable slips easily between my CB's metal lid and plastic front panel - installation was easy! and I can move it / change my mind with little penalty - and those of you who read my build thread will know that my Jeep does / WILL always be undergoing improvements / changes LoL :hammer:

I look forward to any comments / suggestions
    cheers Hunty
    Last edited by Hunty; 18-03-11 at 12:09 PM. Reason: added more pix
    Luv My Jeep!

Love it. Nice work hunty.