Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunty's Jeep JK Extreme

Smile Playin with my Suspension - again

Hi Guyz
    I decided after returning from the Cape that I needed to review my suspension.

I desired to go up another half to one inch, I want my JK to sit at wheeling height with all my crap in it and it not look like a lowrider LoL.

I removed my old 2 inch lift RE HD springs, Accos adjustable spring perches and rancho shocks. (Thought I might have broken / worn out the rear Ranchos).

I trialled some really nice Poly performance 4.5 inch lift springs - they rode and felt perfect for my heap however with all my crap inside were not high enough.

I removed the Poly's and installed some really huge Rock Krawler springs and because I think I might have killed my Rancho's I switched them for some s/hand but near new OME's. (I also have some S/Hand Full traction shocks that I may try next.).

I have also decided to invent my own Height Measuring System - something easy that everyone can do and something that took into consideration spring lift and wheel / tyre size increases - and that is to measure height from the ground to the door, too easy YaY.

This morning before I started switching springs and shocks my Jeep JK's doors were 680mm from the ground and now they are 705mm ( I expect the springs will settle a little in a few days). and when I get all my work equipment back in etc my Jeep will then be back to the height it was engineered @.

Switching springs on the rear of a JK is very straight forward. I always do it in my driveway.

1. undo the sway bay bolts at the lower diff connection.
    2. remove the lower shock bolts.
    3. unclip the ABS wires from the chassis so they don't get pulled / strained.
    4. unbolt the brake lines from the chassis mounts so they don't get stretched / damaged.
    5. unbolt the 2 little nuts that secure the handbrake cable (above the diff).
    6. jack up your jeep - I jacked mine up higher than a wheelie bin LoL see pics - you don't even need to use spring compressors if you jack the crap outa it LoL.
    7. play safe peeps - use jack stands b4 you get under it - I always do, you can't see em in the pics but rest assured they r there.

I am very happy with how it drives now and I have 6 days off over Christmas so I will load it up with the Engel, microwave and cappuccino machine......, then I will hook up my camper trailer and see how it goes!
    Cheers Hunty

Luv My Jeep!

Smile Merry Christmas & run you stick tards LoL

Merry Christmas Jeepers

Thanx heaps guyz for all the kind comments and awesome wisdom that you all have shared with me this year! - I have had a blast modding and playing with my Jeep, and wheeling with yooz!

As most of you know I am a 2012 SJC Jambo committee member and I have had a great time preparing and working with the committee for what looks like being an Awesome Jeep event.

I just put some stickers on my Jeep and had to share! LMAO!

Luv My Jeep!

Visitor

I was waiting for an un-p.c. "stick family" sticker to appear.
    Good one Hunty!

Maaaaate DK
    I saw these on Ebay and they made me happy! so I had to sticker on my Jeep - real-estate is getting scarce now on my 2dr JK - I have a heap more stickers coming that I bought on Ebay - hope I can fit em in somewhere, endways I just kicking back in my new Camper (ok old - 1985) with the Mrs

This is my new camp setup - Airconditioned camper with 42' plasma! by the water! - yes there will be posts about this LMAO - for I am a self confessed forum whore LoL
    Cheers Hunty

Luv My Jeep!

Hunty. Where did u get that sticker. Very funny

Visitor

hunty were did you buy the rear spring perches from??

Hey SteveC - Ebay
    Luv My Jeep!

Hey AussieJK
    Dunno - got em for free, second hand of Mal - Tassie JK
    Luv My Jeep!

Smile Upgrade for the camper trailer - Treg Hitch

Hi Guyz
    I have just made a little much needed upgrade to my camper trailer by changing the tow hitch to a TREG.

It became obvious over the Christmas New year break whilst wheeling hard with the camper on the back the std tow ball was under huge stress and I was asking it to articulate more than it was designed for.

I had to moderate my wheeling for fear that I was going to destroy the std coupling and end up towing the camper home with chains

On steep hill climbs the angles demanded by the trail exceeded the capability of the std coupling and I noticed that I was bending the cr@p out things.

So I was lucky enough to have a mate who ownes a trailer spares repairs business (who owed me a favour) and he freebied me a very nice Treg coupling and welded it on.

I almost immediately went to test it on a steep incline that had previously been impossible for the std coupling and it was no problem at all in fact it still had probably 10 - 30 degrees? left to spare.

my 2c - the Treg style couplings are defiantly a good thing - highly recommended

cheers Hunty

Luv My Jeep!

Smile How to get a JK into 4Low

Hi Guyz
    there is a genetic weakness in the link that controls the JK transfer case, if you put too much pressure on the 2H,4H & 4L lever in the cab it can easily come adrift.

Heres what I always do;

1. I ensure that b4 I change the transfer case lever that I am parked on a slight down hill, enough of a slope that if from stopped/parked I release the brake the Jeep will start to roll slowly forward by its self.

2. Put it in neutral & clutch in.

3. I then gently apply a quick action on the lever and if it feels like its going to shift easy I push it home.

4. If I feel resistance then I release the brake gradually and as the jeep starts to roll forward I try again and again and again (gently) slowing the Jeep with the brake and then letting it roll again - eventually the gears will all match up and it will engage easily.

I hope this works for you too
    cheers Hunty

Luv My Jeep!