Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Stockton Trip 8th May 2010

I Have to agree with what Tony mostly said and slightly disagree with stevef.
    I've been on Stockton many times with a variety of vehicles, mostly stock and even soft-roaders who don't have low range and even was professionally trained on my fist attempt years ago. We were advised there is no real advantage and no need in using high range on sand. It's low tyre pressures, momentum, approach dunes straight and back down straight, use as little brake as possible and finally whenever you wish to stop make sure you are pointing down the hill to assist starting. It's impossible to start while pointing up a dune- no matter what you drive (for 99% of 4wds anyway ), Quite simple and easy to understand and you won't have trouble

Guys, my comment was I run the same speed in low on stockton as I would in high with much less load on the Jeep and no overheating, maybe it's only us XJ owners that know the importance of keeping the temps down and not pushing the Jeep hard in sand, if you can do it in low then why not?? Each vehivle is different, a modern softroader will have a much better cooling system than an XJ which has a system barely suitable for Aussie conditions. Anyway, no matter what you guys say I know my Jeep and a lot of XJ's WILL have overheating issues if run in high on Stockton The rest of the stuff I agree with 100% just not in running my Jeep (and most XJ's) in high on the sand.... Unless of course it's somewhere liker Fraser (where I've been 4 times now) with a high speed limit and hard packed sand. Anyway, the trip up to Stockton will be the tell all

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Quote Originally Posted by CraigB View Post
    I gotta go renew my yearly pass in March. So I may as well go on this gig too. Put me down with a couple of guests thanks.

Lata,
    CRB
    Craig how many guest vehicles?
    98 ZJ Grand Cherokee(Lightly Modded), 84 CJ8, 74 CJ6,
    Lord Help me I'm in to Jeep!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
    Guys, my comment was I run the same speed in low on stockton as I would in high with much less load on the Jeep and no overheating, maybe it's only us XJ owners that know the importance of keeping the temps down and not pushing the Jeep hard in sand, if you can do it in low then why not?? Each vehivle is different, a modern softroader will have a much better cooling system than an XJ which has a system barely suitable for Aussie conditions. Anyway, no matter what you guys say I know my Jeep and a lot of XJ's WILL have overheating issues if run in high on Stockton The rest of the stuff I agree with 100% just not in running my Jeep (and most XJ's) in high on the sand.... Unless of course it's somewhere liker Fraser (where I've been 4 times now) with a high speed limit and hard packed sand. Anyway, the trip up to Stockton will be the tell all

Cheers
    Steve
    Point taken Steve

Hau Hunno,
    Two vehicles. One Prado and one new Navarra ute. I will probably have family with me in my Wrangler. My access pass is actually due on the 20th of April (thats Hitlers birthday from memory!). I might take a run up there before that date and get it renewed, maybe at Easter.

CRB

Bump back to top of forum........... Won't be long before we are there!!
    JC Member# 094

Looks like I'm out, my Jeep will be in pieces still getting upgrades done

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Sorry guys, i'm out too....... Helping the "foooockers" next weekend.

Last edited by NT-Boy; 27-04-10 at 04:03 PM.

I'm out.

CRB

Hi, as long as the jeep is back from ARB getting the long range tank fitted we will be there. Unfortunately our guests in the JK are not able to attend.