Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cherokee XJ

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by Hunno View Post
    As a couple of the guys have said pop upto Wooders & have a chat. They will explain everything with pictures or even show you on your car. Then give you options that are with in you budget, or even a biulding plain & buy parts as you can afford it. They are only at Hornsby so would be easy to drop up & see them. Have a look on this site & you will find there ad. www.wooders.com.au
    I might be going to wooders soon, just would like to have a chat with members club, and XJ ownors first

I'm 5 minutes from Wooders place if you want to checkout my XJ, trouble is you'll probably hear the same from me as Wooders and I'm running 5.5" of lift so what works for me is probably more than you'll need at 2".

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Henrique, Wooders is a long time member of SJC and will definitely give you good advice.

Maggie

Gomes, I've got a front 2inc lift for sale in the for sale section, have a look.

Hey mate, another long time XJ driver here, 33s on 5.5 rubicon long arm kit with diff locks etc... and love it!

My advice is to first get off road and see what you car can do as a stocker! I think you will be pleasantly surprised, they are very capable rigs! As sbadman said, just make sure you disconnect the sway bars and you will be climbing those rocks no sweat!
    As mentioned, talk to people to gain ideas, but keep in mind it is your car and money. The philosophy I took is that I chose what size tyres I wanted first, then worked out what I need to achieve that: from a driveline and suspension viewpoint. So first I did the rear tailshaft (you need to get rid of the horrid slip yoke as it will be the weakest point once you start flexing), then diff lockers and ratios, and finally once I had saved up, suspension, tyres, brake line extensions, etc. The weakest link on an XJ with big tyres is the D35 rear diff... 33's is about the limit... and even then you have to be careful... I think we all have thrown a rear axle at some stage. So make sure you consider all those things as well.

How you build you rig is very dependent on how you want it to end up. so if you want it on 31's with a 2" lift, that is a very different plan to having it on 35's with a 6"+ lift. So set a goal, work out the steps and budget and go from there. You don't want to get stuck doing things twice.

XJ's rock and I really hope you enjoy yours!

Visitor

3-3.5'' in frount 2'' spring + longer shackles to add the extra 1-1.5, this helps drive line angles, drop trans case this also for drive line angles
    31'' mudders. this can be done on the cheep, i know of this set up working well no sye
    ofcourse with sye is better but then so is d60s exo cage hmount 2x lockers with big bucks etc etc
    get 31''s working = all good