Thread: Do I lift or buy one lifted ?

Default Do I lift or buy one lifted ?

Hi all,

I've just completed a 6 month drive around Australia in a Ford Transit I turned into a stealth campervan and had a blast. Now that Im back in Sydney (Baulkham Hills area) I want to sell it and buy myself some kind of 4WD.

I already have a Jeep Grand Cherokee Money Pit but my brother now drives it and I dont like my chances of getting it back. Have looked at loads of other brands but I want something different looking as all the current 4WD's out there are sooooo boring looking and uninspiring to drive.

I like the idea of a short wheel base so was also looking at the Partrol MQ / Maverick 2 doors - but too old and crappy looking. So im thinking Wrangler or perhaps even a CJ. Im loathe to buy another HEEP, but hey...

Anyway - Im thinking white auto, but the main thing I like is the mini monster truck look. I really like the idea of running on 35's - the new 33's of today. I spoke to someone at Wooders on the phone and it seems there is a kit for around $5k but fitting is on top of that.

I think I understand there are more dramas when you go to a 35 including diff ratios etc being reset and longer steering arms / more cutting guards etc ? 90% of the time will be on the tar, and Im not too worried about speed, happy to punt along. Every now and again would like the option to head out to the mountains and get offroad and into trouble somewhere. Winch up front etc

Any tips / guestimate costs if I bought base vehicle and went to 33's and then what extra to go to 35's ? or would you try and hang out for the right one to come along ?

eg there is a manual white on 33's for $24k on carsales at the moment that I like - but want auto. Personally Id prefer to buy something around $10k with longer km and make sure the right bits go on it for another $10k. Not sure if this is realistic or not.

Some pics hopefully attached for fun.

Jeep I like the look of on 33's

trading post.jpg

Monster Mav I liked the look of on 35's. My transit is behind it. The Mav is MASSIVE.

PC080473.JPG

Mav up a bit closer.

PC080475.JPG

Essentially it is your choice, do you want the journey of building your own vehicle (long, expensive, problems, yet very rewarding you know how your car works), or do you want someone else's problems for a bit cheaper! Modifying vehicles always creates compromises, but having a capable truck is lots of fun!
    Do your research well on the required mods, then remember you probably have missed something. If buying a pre-modded truck... be careful how much damage the other guy did to it.

But make sure it is a Jeep and not a Mav!!

Any ballpark guestimate costs on lifting a standard to run say 33's ? Spoke to a local 4WD guy and he was indicating around $20k on top of base vehicle ? I am the sort of person who prefers planning my own mods - just need someone else to plug them in for me

20k to lift a tj? wow, speak to wooders garage, he is a club sponser and is a jeep guru.... when i had my tj, it didnt cost me anywhere near that to run 33's.....

hey that white TJ looks kind of familia...

IMHO it doesnt sound like a CJ would be the right choice for you - these old girls will generally require a lot more TLC & upkeep etc.
    Plus they can be as much or more expensive than a TJ - which will in most aspects be a better and more reliable beater.

Also IMHO if you are looking to modify one look to buy one that already has a number of mods done as this will save you a lot of $$$ especially items like Diff ratios/Lockers/SYE - lift kits less so.....unless it's already long armed etc

Also 20K would get a LOT of mods

Yeah I think its sit back and wait ...