Thread: recovery points on jeeps

Default recovery points on jeeps

morning all,

it has been brought up time and time again with he ever growing new members who are joining our club the question of recovery points.

i know the JK comes with a hoop on the front and back (as do other models) but it was my understanding that these are only tie down points and such should NOT be used for recoveries.

i also know that some members have used these with success but do you really want to risk it?

the reason for the post is, are we as a club allowing the use of these as recovery points?

open for suggestion but i personally would not want to see damage to a car or person due to the use of an unsafe tie down point as a recovery point.

thoughts??

Yep, tiedown points. The JK manual says they can be used for emergency offroad recovery but then it says not to tow with them, I'd be reluctant to do a big recovery using them, maybe a short flat tow but not a big snatch. Ideally a bar with proper recovery points is needed or aftermarket recovery points, I think Wooders sells them. As for the club stance on them, on the TJ historically they weren't considered recovery points and I wouldn't have snatched from them personally and the club didn't consider them recovery points, the blurb in the JK manual blurs the line a bit now and I'd consider recovering from them on a case by case basis.

Cheers
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve F; 12-06-10 at 12:48 PM.
    Public Officer - Member #076

As far as the rear is concerned, I believe the JK Mopar towbar can be used as a rated recovery point.

thanks steve, thats what i thought aswell, personally i wouldnt snatch off them at all, its all the unkown forces and loads which imo makes them unsuitable.

now do we as a club state that anywhere as im sure people would like to come on club trips but dont have the correct recovery points, what happens then? do we leave a car stranded due to the lack of safe recovery points?

Lend them a shovel to start digging.
    I have had to recover a few people in the past without proper recovery points - in each case (except one) I have been able to wrap a strap around their diff and gave a gentle pull.
    Had one bloke that insisted on using the end of his bumper, even after I declined - I then offered to help dig him out, which got a rude response so I got int the car & drove off.....Oh yeah he was stuck in the middle of lavis lane so I knew someone else would come along very soon.....
    Oh yeah I wasn't travelling with him, just found him stuck there & we offered to try to help - tard didn't even have basic recovery gear.

I know that my TJ came with 2 u-bolt type things on each bumper. Thought of using these as recovery points, the problem is that a shackle won't even fit through them. So, now I have 2 fancy towhooks attached where they used to be.