View Poll Results: Are you likely to come to Cape York and when would you prefer

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • During NSW School Holidays July 2011

5 31.25%
  • Outside of School Holidays (June 2011 possibly)

7 43.75%
  • Dont care just want to go

4 25.00%
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: CAPE YORK TRIP - Winter 2011

Agreed one trip, if it helps we are 90% confirmed at the moment, I'd like to say more but have to leave a little leeway.

As for dates, I'm easy, It does sound like September is a good time to go and I'd rather put up with a few corrugations than lots of people and nowhere to camp.

All the rest sounds great and I like the bits about multiple trip leaders etc

Maybe we could get some dates (Just the date period, so the start and end) from those that absolutely must go in s specific date period and take it from there.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Just checked the 2011 Qld Spring school holidays, they run from Monday the 19th of September through Friday the 30th of September, so we need to be aware that some of that crowd would be heading up to the Cape early in that period. Going up in the last week of September probably would avoid most of the crowds ( but we need to check with the campgrounds on the route).

Cheers Glen

As I mentioned on page 6, I have refigured my draft itinerary from July to Sept / Oct 2011 (NSW School Hols are 24 Sept to 9 Oct), and it now looks like;

Cape York Trek - Cairns to The Tip, Weipa and Undara 2,736 km
    Day 1 – Sunday 25 September - Cairns to Lions Den Hotel Helenvale - Bloomfield Track (or CREB track) 210km (half bitumen half dirt road)
    Day 2 – Monday 26 September - Lions Den Hotel to Cooktown 53km (bitumen)
    Day 3 – Tuesday 27 September - Cooktown to Kalpowar Crossing - Lakefield NP 242km
    Day 4 – Wednesday 28 September - Kalpowar Crossing to Archer River Roadhouse 283km
    Day 5 – Thursday 29 September - Archer River to Dalhunty R Bushcamp - OTT 195km
    Day 6 – Friday 30 September - Dalhunty River to Jardine River Ferry - OTT 114km
    Day 7 – Saturday 1 October - Jardine River to Seisia 63km
    Day 8 – Sunday 2 October - Seisia to The Tip and Local Sightseeing 150km
    Day 9 – Monday 3 October - Ferry to Thursday & Horn Islands Sightseeing
    Day 10 – Tuesday 4 October - Lay Day at Seisia
    Day 11 – Wednesday 5 October - Seisia to Bramwell Junction via Cap't Billy Landing 276km
    Day 12 – Thursday 6 October - Bramwell Junction to Weipa 177km
    Day 13 – Friday 7 October - Lay Day at Weipa (Mine Tour etc)
    Day 14 – Saturday 8 October - Weipa to Archer River Roadhouse 197km
    Day 15 – Sunday 9 October - Archer River Roadhouse to Lakeland via Split Rock Aboriginal Cave Paintings 375km (half dirt half bitumen)
    Day 16 – Monday 10 October - Lakeland to Cairns 248km - Or Lakeland to Undara 401km (bitumen)
    Day 17 – Tuesday 11 October - OPTIONAL at Undara

This is the same route as that on the itinerary I handed round in October, but obviously at a different time of year and with slightly adjusted days. This factors in that the ferry from Seisia to TI only runs Mon, Wed and Fri from October on. As Glen said, getting to and from Cairns (or Undara) is really up to the individual, but I would leave Syd no later than Mon 19 Sept, return to Syd on Sat 15 Oct, making the whole trip 28 days.

As I have indicated before I would be happy to organise / lead a trip to Cape York, and dates including a school holiday, such as the above, suit me best.

We probably would need to vary leaders in places from necessity not just choice. I am told that getting across some of the creeks on the OTT will now need a more serious 4WD than my KJ to cross first, and then drag smaller vehicles (with wheels spinning in space) up some fairly serious ruts. We shall see! Also, if the group wished to 'split' for a day or so between Daintree and Lions Den / Cooktown, with some vehicles attempting the CREB Track (if open) and the rest heading up the Bloomfield Track, then someone else will need to lead the CREB section...

I'd like to add one more thing, as with the desert trip, 'leading' a long trek does involve a lot of organising. On the desert trip, I booked all camping, some motels and Desert Parks Passes for some participants in advance, and this will be the same on the Cape. In the case of CREB there are also access premissions to be organised. As you do have to book campsites, ferrys, tours etc in advance, it is important to stick to a planned schedule. Obviously if the conditions are against you, people do understand (eg I apologised to Tibooburra Caravan Park operators for our being 3 days late from Innaminka...). Please do not underestimate the organisation involved. The desert trip did not meet with 100% satisfaction, but there were many things that went against us, especially weather. The anticipated "big, bad" wet for Summer 2010/11 and July crowds from 2010 are what has made me decide to change my ideas. I hope that they meet with some approval. If not then I hope that they will be of some use for people planning to travel outside these dates.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 17-01-11 at 10:51 AM.

Visitor

@ Dave - those dates look quite good to us, I prefer to miss most of the crowds and gives us a chance to finish outfitting the Jeep.

Hi R & T,

That's great. A couple of other people have also said these dates could suit, so I see no reason not to run a trip at this time. As long as you have at least three vehicles in a convoy, no problem. I will bring an updated proposal on paper to a meeting early next year - although I could email one earlier if you PM your address. I still think that if lots people want to go, and want to go earlier and not during school hols, then July / Aug could also see a trip happen. I'm sure there will be ongoing discussions at future meetings...

Discussion on Today Tonight from Bureau of Met and Weather Channel again said they are expecting an 'above average' ie wetter and worse Wet and Cyclone season over the whole Top End...

Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 08-11-10 at 08:02 PM.

Visitor

There should be a button on the poll to indicate "not going" so that you can evaluate how many people are interested but cannot go - like me!

Hi Dave
    I love all your plans for the Cape trip and I hope we can get it off the ground! you are one very talented guy - thanx heaps for all the work you have done so far - Jax and I have already started on preparations for the big trip - Im excited!!!
    cheers Hunty
    Luv My Jeep!

Thanks Hunty, but remember, this is a 4WD trip so we will try and stay on the ground - unless your name is Adam who is a full on Jeep pilot after Big Red in July. (Sorry, that was a really really bad joke). I know that there are a few people interested in Sept / Oct, but there are still discussions to be had next year. That said, I'm really looking forward to the trip - excited too! The Cape is a great place to experience.

TK, why not As they say in the ad "Just Do It"!

Dave

Visitor

Woo Hoo - work has (after some lengthy discussions) approved my tentative leave dates for Sept/Oct- yippee!!! The later dates work the best for me as I would have no chance scoring 4 weeks off any earlier ..... T (of R&T)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob&Tanya View Post
    Woo Hoo - work has (after some lengthy discussions) approved my tentative leave dates for Sept/Oct- yippee!!! The later dates work the best for me as I would have no chance scoring 4 weeks off any earlier ..... T (of R&T)
    Excellent news! Have had a few enquiries about these dates now, so I reckon we are looking good!

Dave