View Poll Results: Are you likely to come to Cape York and when would you prefer

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • During NSW School Holidays July 2011

5 31.25%
  • Outside of School Holidays (June 2011 possibly)

7 43.75%
  • Dont care just want to go

4 25.00%
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: CAPE YORK TRIP - Winter 2011

Default CAPE YORK TRIP - Winter 2011

I thought it was time to get a thread started on the proposed Cape York Trip - Winter 2011.

As with all extensive touring type trips, the amount of preparation time required means early discussion and notice period is important (especially for those that have to arrange the time off work to do this sort of trip).

Cape York was the subject of some discussion on the just completed 2010 Desert Trip, and some of those participants indicated an interest in the Cape Trip. Obviously lessons learned on the Desert Trip may prove useful for those contemplating the Cape Trip.

I believe Brian and Heidi have recently been there and done that so any info from them would be appreciated.

This is not a call for 'expressions of interest' at this time, just a place to discuss trip requirements and planning.

Glen D

Happy to help with any trip planning etc..

Unfortunately we had to pull out of the trip this year though We are having a baby in November and whilst we had hoped to still do the trip a some issues with the pregnancy came up a few weeks before the trip and the Dr's said it was really not a good idea to attempt the trip for my own health.

The group (5 cars) still did the trip and had a great time, 2 cars opted not to do the harder tracks (OTT, Frenchmans etc) and all cars experienced panal damage and or mechanical problems.

Thanks Heidi and Congratulations on the baby, look after yourself. I guess a larger Jeep is on the horizon.

Sounds good. I'll be ready by then.
    Question: Lenght of trip? 2,3,4 weeks?(More)
    : Will it be limited to just jeeps?
    : Max no. of vehicles?
    : How hard core tracks?(I'm not to worried about panel damage, but would like to be able to drive home. who am kidding been towed home the 2 out of 3 trips.
    But we're working through the weakness ).
    98 ZJ Grand Cherokee(Lightly Modded), 84 CJ8, 74 CJ6,
    Lord Help me I'm in to Jeep!!!!

We have a bigger jeep alreay there is a ZJ in the driveway! It just does not go any where
    The trip we where running was 2 weeks Cairns to Cairns - everyone made there own way to Cairns from Sydney - most took at least 4 weeks altogether.
    We orginally had 12 cars and this went down to 5 by departure day. We use different gradings so it was rated Hard with no trailers. The group felt it was rated correctly after doing the trip, and the smaller group size was also a bonus. They had to use the winches a few times to get cars out. Even cars with snorkles had to tarp up for the river crossings. Some of the people on the trip where reluctant to do the more difficult tracks and opted for the easier options such as the developmental roads and caught up with the group again at a later time - even though we where very clear from the beginning what the standard of trip would be.
    The trip is about 8-10,000 km's

I was also looking at going to the Cape next year so am keen on this trip

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

I imagine we could have the odd ringin vehicle. Jaffas in-laws drove a Pathfinder on the Desert Trip and it fitted in just fine. In relation to track choice we would probably need options for those keen to do the full OTL etc. Personally I would be going to enjoy myself and explore the Cape, not much interested in breaking things. For example, the photos I have seen of the Gunshot entrance make me think I would not want to try that, but someone with a more extreme vehicle might (Ivan for example).

Hi Glen I am interested but will talk 2 u on the next meet b4 committing.

Mani

Mani it is way too early to expect anyone to commit. This thread is just for discussion of a possible Cape York Trip next winter. Plenty of time to talk about it.

I'll put my hand up as and when. Been before as a passenger and want to do the drive myself!

Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 03-08-10 at 08:41 AM.