View Poll Results: Are you likely to come to Cape York and when would you prefer

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • During NSW School Holidays July 2011

5 31.25%
  • Outside of School Holidays (June 2011 possibly)

7 43.75%
  • Dont care just want to go

4 25.00%
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: CAPE YORK TRIP - Winter 2011

Yeah, there were the three options when I was there in '08. Don't worry too much, if I didn't think my KJ could get through I wouldn't go that way. In Sept / Oct '08, the water was about knee deep. I believe the snorkels are a must earlier in the season, but there was only one creek crossing that we tarped one snorkel-less Land Cruiser for, and even that probably wasn't totally necessary. With a few vehicles crossing, it is the exit from Gunshot (and a couple of others) that will get wet and slippery. We will organise so the 'softest' vehicles go first, unless we think a winch necessary right from the start...

There are a couple of crossings that do need scouting on foot even towards the end of the dry - deep holes etc that need marking, so the crossings aren't 'straight across'.

Looking forward to next Wed!

Dave

Visitor

Can you put a thread summary of the trip on the first page mentioning who's going, when, optional dates and routes that have been discussed, and other useful details.

After the meeting on Wednesday 2nd Feb, I intend to start a new thread doing exactly that, called "Cape York - Sept/Oct 2011". If any other trips / dates are proposed, then I hope that the organisers will likewise put separate threads up. This thread was supposed to be a planning / discussion thread (and it isn't mine to change), and has grown a bit too large and is not specific enough for "locked in" trips.

A summary of the details of the Sept/Oct trip that I have proposed is on page 7 of this thread, and a list of the nine vehicles that have expressed an interest in these dates is on page 8. I think that this trip is pretty much set now, and people have already started applying for leave for these dates.

If you PM me your email address I would be happy to email you a PDF copy of my proposal, otherwise I will bring copies to the meeting on Wednesday. As to other possible dates or routes, as far as I know, no other proposals have been presented so far, but this will be up for discussion on Wednesday. Hope this helps.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 29-01-11 at 02:09 PM.

Hopefully dates are locked in now (a few of us have booked in leave) with Cairns the start on the 25th of September and back to Cairns for the 10th of October I plan to leave Sydney on Wednesday the 21st of September arriving back home on Saturday the 15th of October. Probably having a day in Cairns before heading back

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

My leave is booked in too. Not sure on leaving dates as yet due to my little passenger issues
    98 ZJ Grand Cherokee(Lightly Modded), 84 CJ8, 74 CJ6,
    Lord Help me I'm in to Jeep!!!!

Those are the dates that I have planned Steve! I'm being really slack, and leaving Sydney for Cairns on Monday 19 Sept, taking 4 days to drive there, arriving on Thurs 22nd. I'll then get an oil change and sightsee for a couple of days before we head North on Sunday 25th September. On the return trip, for anyone else interested, on the 10th of Oct I plan to run down to Undara instead of returning to Cairns. I'll spend the 11th there having a look around, before heading South on the 12th. I expect to be back in Syd on Saturday the 15th.

NOTE, if you are heading back to Cairns on the 10th eg for flights back to Sydney, depending on the time you wish to leave Lakeland, you will probably get there around midday - is 250km or so, all bitumen. This will mean that any kids just doing Cape York (fly to and from Cairns) will miss the first day back at school on Monday 10th.

The only variation to the trip that I posted on Page 7 are which tracks people may choose to take - eg CREB instead of Bloomfield between Daintree and Helenvale on Day 1, or the Bypass instead of the Old Telegraph Track on Days 5 and 6 (which would also mean finding an alternate campsite on day 5). If anyone wanted to split off from this plan during the trip to other places (that I do not know about) then I guess their trip from then on is up to them...

I'll bring updated itinerary for you (still with two typos dammit) to the jambo meeting this arvo .

Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 29-01-11 at 01:54 PM.

I may also do the Undara bit of the trip, depends how everyone is feeling (Wife and youngest daughter) as a day or two at a resort in Cairns will probably sound good by then

Cheers
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve F; 29-01-11 at 12:57 PM.

Steve, at Undara you can spend two nights in a restored railway carriage $125 per night, 2 adults and 2 children. And they have a pool and all amenities including restaurant. What more could you want (unless it is big city shopping )?

Check out http://undara.com.au/

Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 29-01-11 at 01:12 PM.

Looks like we stay there then, Opera in the Outback is on while we're there (evening of the 10th) so a big dose of culture after tenting it

Cheers
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
    Looks like we stay there then, Opera in the Outback is on while we're there (evening of the 10th) so a big dose of culture after tenting it

Cheers
    Steve
    Cool - I hadn't noticed that one!

Dave