View Poll Results: Are you likely to come to Cape York and when would you prefer

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • During NSW School Holidays July 2011

5 31.25%
  • Outside of School Holidays (June 2011 possibly)

7 43.75%
  • Dont care just want to go

4 25.00%
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CAPE YORK TRIP - Winter 2011

Does anyone know if it is possible to send car by rail or on the truck to/from Cairns (to save some time) and how much it costs?
    I am wandering if there are any car dealerships which may be having trucks coming emty one way ... as I may have difficulty get more than 2-3 week leave.

I also wanted to go to Cape York on motorbike few years ago, but instead decided to go for 7 weeks to Chile and Argentina, rend Yamaha ride to Patagonia and Attacama. Now after I sold my KTM, the idea to go to Cape (at least) by car sounds good.

I Google searched this one.

You cannot send your car from Sydney to Brisbane by train, but you can send it from Brisbane to Cairns - but there are conditions;

"Queensland Rail cannot convey vehicles unless owner compliance is observed with ALL the following conditions:
    • Vehicles must not be lower than 150mm above ground level loaded this includes any side skirts or front and rear spoilers.
    • Vehicles must not exceed 2100mm in height, 2100mm in width, or 5270 mm in length, this is to include the outer most extremity of permissible dimensions.
    • The wheels of vehicles fitted with large tyres or dual rear wheels must not exceed 480mm, with 940mm between each slot.
    • The Motorail wagon has a raised centre section in the floor and vehicles must not be overloaded as this could result in damage to fuel tank, exhaust or independent suspension.
    • Petrol or other flammable liquids or commodities (excluding vehicle fuel tank) must not be conveyed in or on the vehicle and must be removed.
    • External fitted louvres and screens should be removed, aerials lowered, large side mirrors folded in, and all personal items conveyed on roof racks or tray backs properly secured by the vehicle owner. Such accessories and effects are the responsibility of the owner and are conveyed at owners risk.
    • Passengers are not permitted access to their vehicles whilst in transit.
    • Vehicle owners must ensure their private vehicle insurance covers transit by rail.
    • QR reserves the right to charge prescribed freight rates for personal effects or items conveyed in the vehicle.
    • Unaccompanied vehicles must be met & received on arrival by owner or representative"
    Also, you would need to go on to their website and give details to get a quote; http://www.queenslandrail.com.au

There are several trucking companies that will take your car from anywhere to anywhere, eg; http://www.auto-logistics.com.au

But again you need to give them your details to get a quote.

I know that several people were considering these options, I do not know if anyone has found out more yet.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 15-08-10 at 01:14 PM.

a few of the people on the trip we where doing looked at this. It was quite expensive from memory - I know one person was going to pay their apprentice wages to drive there and back plus accommodation and flights as it worked out a lot cheaper. (they ended up not going on the trip though)
    Also found many companies will not transport the cars packed with camping equipment etc so that meant you had to send everything seperate in a crate.

I've driven to Cairns in a touch over two days going up to Charters Towers and then across to Townsville before going up the coast road. It's a much easier drive and a lot quicker. That was in the XJ about 6 years ago now. I plan to head up this way when the trip runs next year. Although that does still eat up a minimum of 5 days and you have to hit the road pretty hard to do it.

Cheers
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve F; 11-08-10 at 02:39 PM.
    Public Officer - Member #076

Steve you are correct that the inland route and then up the Gregory Development Road to Charter Towers is much quicker than the coast combo of the Pacific Hwy to the Bruce Hwy. The inland route also avoids most of the grey nomad caravan traffic that clogs up the coastal route in the winter. I can get to my son's place at Dysart (250kms + northwest of Rocky) in two days, going up through the Newell and Liechardt Highways, or the Mitchell but going up the coast it would take most of three.

Visitor

i am planning for jambo at the moment, want to leave trailer at home and maybe get some mods done we will see.
    so same gose for cape trip we would have to do it in three weeks and include school holidays

Id be in but driving to cairns in under 3 days is pushing it hard, depends if you have multiple drivers too to share the load. after all it's a holiday so you want to enjoy the whole trip.
    I think 4 weeks would be a good quide in my view

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    Id be in but driving to cairns in under 3 days is pushing it hard, depends if you have multiple drivers too to share the load. after all it's a holiday so you want to enjoy the whole trip.
    I think 4 weeks would be a good quide in my view
    There's no need to do Cairns in 3 days, its just an option/possibility for those that don't have the extra time. Doing it in 5 means you get to see some stuff on the way and is much more comfortable, even 4 is pretty easy.

Cheers
    Steve

I might get yelled at for adding this, but before we went to Birsdsville I started working on an itinerary of 28 days all up (for me anyway) - 4 days to Cairns, 3 days in Cairns (get oil change and sightsee) then 16 days Cairns to Tip & return to Cairns or Undara, one day in Cairns or Undara then 4 days home. Even if you shaved the days in Cairns beginning and end, I think it would be tough to do the whole trip in less than 24 days. However, I wasn't planning on presenting my ideas - as requested and fair enough - until discussion is underway amongst any group of people that wish to go. I was planning to propose the trip with itinerary in February 2011, and my preferred time to travel, as with this years trip, is July (school teacher - 2 weeks of school hols plus 2 weeks afterwards). However this timing might not suit anyone else, and as Glen has pointed out, some really good constructive planning is already going on. Hey, who knows, we might end up with enough interest for TWO trips, one earlier, one later...

Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 16-08-10 at 12:31 PM.

This probably doesn't help much but worth putting out there, my preference is to go before the school holidays, so after the roads have been repaired but prior to the school holiday traffic hitting them, just a thought if there is enough interest for two trips

Cheers
    Steve