Thread: Hunters with Jeeps

Talking Hunters with Jeeps

G'day to all,

I'm new here and was wondering if there were any hunters here with jeeps - maybe we could discuss some stuff about hunting with jeeps like - places, rigs & equipment. I go hunting and 4X4-ing in my cherokee sport once a month on a mates farm in singleton.

It'd be great to know anyone here who shares the same hobby as I and how they are going with their machine as well as any advice regarding hunting with a jeep and 4X4ing combined
    Thx

Hunting really isn't the focus of the club - its mainly about the Jeeps. Might be a good offline topic. Thanks.
    SJC Member #001 - 94 XJ

It might not be a focus of the club, but neither is fishing, mountain biking, rock climing or other outdoor activities that are so popular with 4x4 owners.
    Personally I'll not a shooter, but I have several customers that are, some of my family are (current & x-farmers), and I was sure there were a few club members that dabbled in shooting.
    First thing I'd do is make sure it's good a good roof rack. Mounting for spotties, Awnning mount, able to carry more gear and maybe even a shooter.
    Next I'd be setting it up for camping (ie fridge etc).

Right you are wooders my main point in making this thread as I mentioned was for any guys out there who use their jeeps for hunting - (being the main focus on jeeps as previously mentioned) and I asked for any advice (not particularly hunting advice) regarding how jeeps are used for hunting and 4X4-ing so it pretty much is 100% ON-topic and jeep focused.

Thanks Wooders for pointing this out -

I am pretty sure there are a handful of guys in this club that use their jeeps for shooting etc.. and I'd like to learn and share some experiences (again focusing on jeeps).

You are definetely right about the roof cage - awning thing but they don't come cheap - there is a reasonable one going at supercheap auto for 199 bucks but its got a max load of 60 kg - I could sit on it and it should be fine as I'm only a little over 55kg if I distribute the weight properly but then who drives the jeep ? - answer= NOBODY drives my jeep not even family members or best friends .. She's too precious for me to leave her in unfamiliar hands not even for a few minutes

Yes I wouldn't mind a fridge - currently using an esky with ice for those wabbits for the stew

I'm a Hunter with the sporting shooters association of Australia and a JEEP FREAK!!!! My latest hunting mod on my jeep was a set of Warrior safari half doors which help with tracking prey and also helps when shooting from in side the JEEP!!!

That's awesome mate love your work !! Thought for a moment there no 1 was going to reply to my post

I'm also with the SSAA - I go to hurstville shooting range to keep my rifles in top notch.

I'm trying to get my jeep ready for some light bush bashing - just gotta change the oil - oil filter spark plugs and leads - gonna pick up the leads tomorrow from bursons (ngk sparks and leads) in caringbah and fit them too- then next saturday hopefully I'll be able to go plinking for some rabbits on my mates farm in singleton

One crucial accessory I will need to have is a roof cage and possibly a bull bar but they are so hard to find for my car model due to its shape and design and cost (as I've been told)

I really like what you've done with the half doors on your jeep its a great idea. I bet it helps heaps with the accuracy. Looks like u got a nice lift there too, I absolutely need one 2 - good job mate !!!

Where do you go shooting and what do you manage to shoot and bag in the jeep