Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any one else ride a motor bike?

Default Any one else ride a motor bike?

I have another motoring obsession, motorcycles. Unfortunately Jeep doesn’t make motor bikes so I’ve had to settle for something else, a 1050 Triumph Speed Triple.

14082009(004).jpg
    With my family commitments I don't have much time to go riding but I'm putting in a request for an official leave of absence to go riding next Sunday morning; it is fathers Day after all.

Since this run doesn’t involve Jeeps I’m not suggesting an “Official” club trip but I’m asking Miraz (Geoff) and Steve Foster (they both have bikes) if they want to come out with me so I thought I’d see if anyone else from the club with a bike wants to come along as well.

The boys both live up north so I’m planning to meet up out that way for a run out to the "Road Warrior Cafe". My family will want to do something with me for Fathers Day though so it’s an early start so I can get home for a late lunch.

Any takers?

Tony
    tonysrich@optus.net
    Last edited by tonysrich; 27-08-10 at 10:24 AM.

I used to ride (back when I was young), and loved it. Rode in Canada (even in the winter), and my Honda CX500 was my principle transport when I first arrived in Australia and I rode it all up and down the east coast, and shipped it over to NZ and rode around the islands as well. That all ended when I was nearly killed by a car turning into me, and I am still carrying that legacy. Just be careful out there, as all my friends from my youth have had accidents with cars, and we probably all know someone that was killed on a bike.

Had to basicially retire from bikes after 40 odd years of riding. Didn't even own a car for 20 years.............Have A LOT of old back issues of bike mags until about 2004 once the Jeep came along at last.
    Known a few to many riders still trying to get home........................
    P.S. Still have the custom made leather's at home made for her ( daughter) when she was about 6yrs old..............
    Last edited by stevet; 27-08-10 at 01:03 PM.
    JC Member# 094

Yes, riding can have its moments. I had my big one in 76, broke my arm and my leg in three places. It took over two years, three bone grafts and a stainless steel rod, plate and about a dozen screws to put Humpty back together again. It wasn’t a perfect job though as my left leg is now about three cm shorter than the original item and I tend to drift to Port.

Statistically they reckon that you’re at the greatest risk of having a serious accident on a motor bike in the first two years of holding a licence. It’s no small thing either at around an 80% chance of having a bad prang but if you can survive that period it falls to less than 10% for an experienced rider.

I learned my lesson well though and while I have been riding on the road virtually the whole time from then to now I’ve not come off a bike on the road since then (well I did loop out a trial bike with an overenthusiastic mono once but that doesn’t count, does it?). I put it down to an overzealously defensive riding style. Basically I ride like everyone else on the road is some kind of deranged maniac that is out to get me personally. Sort of like Kurt Russel in “Death Proof” if he had a thing for me and my bike instead of beautiful young women.

Basically I reckon that if you’re riding faster than everyone else on the road no one can catch up to you to hit you. Yes it's a seriously flawed concept but it has worked for me so far.
    Last edited by tonysrich; 27-08-10 at 05:21 PM.

Tony stop baiting the hook!
    98 ZJ Grand Cherokee(Lightly Modded), 84 CJ8, 74 CJ6,
    Lord Help me I'm in to Jeep!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by glend View Post
    I used to ride (back when I was young), and loved it. Rode in Canada (even in the winter), and my Honda CX500 was my principle transport when I first arrived in Australia and I rode it all up and down the east coast, and shipped it over to NZ and rode around the islands as well. That all ended when I was nearly killed by a car turning into me, and I am still carrying that legacy. Just be careful out there, as all my friends from my youth have had accidents with cars, and we probably all know someone that was killed on a bike.
    Here's my old CX500, 30 this year. Now I know a lot of people dont think much of them but I gotta say I've had plenty of bikes like a 1100 Katana, GSXR750 with superbike kit and quite a few others and this CX is great fun, quick off the line, sounds brilliant and something different especially built like this. I really enjoy riding it as well and it confuses the hell out of a lot of people. Total cost was under $1500 as well.

Before, just over a year ago.

And now, has a few neat mods like the drilled disks, braided brake lines, digital dash etc, all cheap if you know where to look.

Anyway, I've been riding for about 18 years, got knocked off the Katana on the M4, slid a fair way but just got a burn, I was more worried about finding a replacement fairing for the Katana. Turns out all was good

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Visitor

Yes i too have another toy.

We should tee up some time guys.

This Sunday morning to Stanwell tops seems a possibility?

Eddy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Steve you've turned the CX into a Moto Guzzi! Well done. Mine was blue, wish I still had it. I had to replace the tank, the left cyclinder cover, bars, etc when I got hit. I had to sell it when I returned to Canada after my wife and I got married. I am now forbidden to ride lest I influence my son in that direction.

i recently got a 1982 bmw r65

and rebecca got a 2006 honda zoomer

Quote Originally Posted by sfedek View Post
    Yes i too have another toy.

We should tee up some time guys.

This Sunday morning to Stanwell tops seems a possibility?

Eddy
    Ok Eddy, I think I can convince the wife to let me off the chain this Sunday for a few hours. It would have to be an early start though so I cou8ld get back home before lunch. I’m at Sutherland so a ride to Stanwell through The National Park is easy for me but where are you situated? I don’t mind meeting up with you where ever is best for you. Let me know a time and place and I’ll get back to you.

Tony