Thread: Transfer Case output bearing or just the Slip Yoke?

Default Transfer Case output bearing or just the Slip Yoke?

Recently I have noticed a slight thunk while moving off. Originally I thought I might have a sticking brake pad but reading elsewhere indicates it could be the slip yoke. I crawled around underneath and tried moving the rear axle and slip yoke around to get it to produce a noise. The rear uni joint seems really tight and there is no movement. However, when I press upward on the harmonic balancer at the front of the shaft there is deflection and it does generate a noise. Is this normal or possibly a symptom of a transfer case output bearing problem?
    Does this just need to be regreased?

If just grease, does anyone know how this is done and what grease to use?

Glen
    Last edited by glend; 09-09-10 at 01:22 PM.

Hi Glen,

As you know I am NOT a good mechanic, but I was getting a "clunk" when my engine mounts had failed. It was noticeable when moving off from idle, and again when turning the engine on and off. I know your car is 2 years younger than mine, but... My mechanic also wants to swap out my transmission mount at next service.

Dave

It was the slip yoke. I dropped the axle and greased the slip yoke splines and the noise is now gone. The full write up with photos is on AJOR:

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...ad.php?t=99458