Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ian's Flatfender

Default Ian's Flatfender

Well the vibration and chatter in my transmission has got so bad that I need to do something about it. I thought it was a bearing or something in the NP435 gearbox but as it was worse in top gear than any other I felt it could be the double cardan on the drive shaft. When I pulled the shaft off I could hardly detect any play in the joint but tried locking the front hubs and driving in front wheel drive only. Wow - that was frightening, talk about bump steer, but the chatter had gone indicating that the rear shaft was the culprit. So now I have a rebuilt shaft courtesy of the Transmission Physician in Hornsby. Hopefully the problem will be cured when I refit it but it will have to wait for a while as I am just heading off to Mudgee and Cobar today.

Last edited by Flatfender; 24-08-15 at 04:21 PM.

have a nice trip Ian, hope to see you back out there again soon mate

CRB

Found time to fit the drive shaft on Sunday and gave it a quick try round the block.
    Wouldn't you know it - the chatter and vibration is still there!
    So I guess I have no option but to pull out the transmission.
    Hopefully it will just be a bearing or something not too expensive.
    Should be back from the West next weekend so hope to get at it then.

Bugger, hopefully pulling the tranny is easier than it was on the XJ. Actually it has to be

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Well I managed to drop my Dana 20 transfer case without having to take out the gearbox which saved a lot of time and effort - that NP 435 gearbox weighs a ton. Fortunately the cross member supports the adapter I made between gearbox and TC so it made it easy. The problem now is - I can't find the problem!
    With a floor panel removed I was able to take the top off the gearbox to check it out and it all appears to be OK. No visible damage anywhere and the bearings feel perfect when you turn it over by hand. The TC rear output shaft, which is the only part under load in 2 wheel drive, also rotates smoothly. So where is my noisy vibration coming from? The only noticeable wear is on the output shaft splines for the sliding gear which engages 2WD, neutral or 4WD. The transmission expert in Hornsby reckons that is the cause of my problem but I am not convinced. I was going to swap my output shaft assembly with one from an old Dana 20 from Wooders today to eliminate it as a problem but I found it was worn more than mine when I pulled it apart. So do I buy a new shaft and sliding gear when it might not be the answer, or have any of you bright guys out there got any other suggestions Cheers - Ian W.
    Last edited by Flatfender; 29-04-15 at 11:35 AM.

Rear diff, pinion bearing maybe? Although I've never had one go so not sure what to expect. Maybe even something to do with the mounts on the gearbox and the different load on them when in rear wheel drive? I had a bad vibration and it was the front driveshaft slip joint, it got to the point where I was going to stick a video camera under there and see if I could catch anything when I was trying to work out what it was, if you're desperate it may be an option.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Rear diff and a pinion bearing will usually scream like a banshee. No mistaking that one.
    It is not he who gives abuse that affronts, but the view that we take of it as insulting; so that when one provokes you it is your own opinion which is provoking.<br /><br />–Epictetus

Yeah Steve - I thought of the diff and already pulled the cover off and checked it out. Pinion bearings and side bearings all good and no damaged teeth anywhere. I also pulled out the half shafts and checked the wheel bearings, all OK. I'm rapidly running out of ideas!

Cheers
    Ian W.

Pulled my TC output shaft assembly to pieces for a better look and found that the bearings, although they felt smooth to turn, with no play, are definitely showing signs of old age. All taper rollers and both cups are pitted so new bearings and a seal are now on my bench ready for re-assembly. I just hope it is the answer to the vibration and noise. At least if it isn't I have eliminated the transfer case as the cause.

Ian W.

I rebuilt my transfer case with new bearings in the output shaft assembly last week and managed to find time to get it reinstalled. It hasn't cured the problem although the noise is a bit less than it was before. It still drives great apart from the noise and vibration on accelleration so I suppose I could just keep using it to see if it gets any worse. If I keep going until it fails at least I will find the problem! Then again I should probably drop the transmission out and have a proper look in the gearbox. I'll think about it over Christmas.
    Hope you all have a good one.
    Cheers
    Ian W.