Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ian's Flatfender

Finally got round to dropping my transmission tonight. Advantage of no roof and a folding windscreen - I used a chain block from the roof trusses in the garage and dropped it on the floor. plenty of clearance to pull it out the side. It's still a ton weight to struggle with on your own but "where there's a will there's a way". Hope to get a chance to pull it apart tomorrow to try and identify the cause of the chatter.
    Cheers
    Ian w.

Last edited by Flatfender; 24-08-15 at 04:32 PM.

Pulled the gearbox apart but still can't find any particular problem. I did replace a couple of bearings just to be on the safe side before I put it all back together and guess what - yeah - No difference. It is still noisy but only when accelererating, especially in top gear. It is starting to realy p!$$ me off. As I am in Sydney for a change on Club meeting night I will see if it will make it to Regents Park and back. Hope to see you all there.
    Cheers
    Ian W.

Had a chat with Pete, the Service Manager at Traction 4, Artarmon last week and he imediately said - Yeah that is the same noise we get all the time with hilux's. They are very succeptable to drive line vibration if the angles aren't exactly right. He reckoned my pinion to drive shaft angle was the problem, in spite of the fact that it was no problem for a few years. Thinking about it I remembered that my leaf springs have been sagging a bit lately so I jacked it up and put blocks under the bump stops to give it a 1" lift then tried it round the block. Straight off I found it was a lot better but still had a bit of noise and vibration. So in with blocks for 2" lift and hey presto - no noise and no vibration. I couldn't believe the difference especially after spending so much time and effort (let alone money) on replacement drive shaft, new transfer case bearings and new gearbox bearings, with no improvement at all.
    So obviously I need to get my springs reset for a couple of inches of lift, but in the meantime as a temporary measure I put some packers between springs and axle to alter the angle and give the same result. It now drives beautifully.
    That prompts the question - are tapered axle/spring shims available anywhere?
    Cheers
    Ian W.

Tapered shims are available from Wooders in all different degrees, I have a set in my XJ at the moment as I didn't quite get the pinion angle right when I welded the mounts on for the D44. Anyway, give Wooders a call Oh and glad you found the problem.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Got a set of 4 degree tapered shims from Wooders last week and doctered them to make them fit. They were a lot wider than my springs so I notched them out with an angle grinder to clear my spring clip bolts and they are now a neat fit. Also a good fit on the spring centre bolt so they can't go anywhere. That has fixed my noise and vibration problem but I should probably still get my rear springs re-set to lift the back 1" or so - back to where it used to be.
    Cheers Ian W.
    Last edited by Flatfender; 25-08-15 at 02:48 PM.

After my front wheel drive trip back from the Wattagans on the 12th I am back up and running with a new yoke and U-bolts for my rear drive shaft (Courtesy of Wooders home delivery service). I should have replaced the U-bolts before as they did feel a bit suspect when I fitted them originally. Of course they had to wait until half way up a rocky hill before they let go. The new ones tightened up nicely but I haven't had a chance to give it a good test yet. Time will tell!
    Cheers
    Ian W.

Just when you think things are running nicely.......
    I started to hear a rattle "somewhere underneath" when cruising along and it was still there when I pulled up and left it idling. If I took up the slack on the clutch pedal the rattle stopped so I guessed it had to be connected with the clutch release bearing.
    So yet again I have dropped my transmission to the garage floor to check it out. Sure enough the release bearing assembly is the problem. The bearing itself is not bad but it has been spinning on the stub of the carrier plate and worn it badly. The resultant sloppy fit is why it was rattling under no load.
    Now I have the problem of trying to locate a new replacement release bearing assembly. The original assembly came with the NP435 gearbox out of a Ford F100 when I fitted it in place of the T14 box which was in when I bought the Flatfender. I think I will have to make a trip to CBC at Kingsgrove with the old parts to see if they can identify them. Looks like I won't be Jeeping anywhere until I can get new parts and put it all back together again!

Cheers
    Ian W.

Well I managed to find a replacement release bearing assembly, Brakepro in Pioneer Avenue, Thornleigh, managed to get me one overnight and for $88.00 which I didn't think was too bad.
    While I had the transmission out I thought I would check what weight it is. The bathroom scales went 30 to 40kg round the second time, past the 120kg maximum so I reckon it must be at least 150kg. No wonder I have a bad back!
    Now I just have to put it all back together again.

Transmission is back in again. It is the heavy lump but it is actually all the ancillary bits and pieces which take the time - Exhausts, handbrake linkage, breathers, speedo drive, full length skid plate, etc.etc. and then the floor panels to refit. Anyway it is now running good again, took a quick trip up to Wooders today for a ride out.
    Cheers
    Ian W.

Great to hear Ian, just in time for classic not plastic?
    98 ZJ Grand Cherokee(Lightly Modded), 84 CJ8, 74 CJ6,
    Lord Help me I'm in to Jeep!!!!