Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ian's Flatfender

I came across a couple of old photos today of my first Jeep on the Cumbrian fells in the north of England.
    This would be in about 1960. I bought it in London in 1959 as my sole means of transport.
    Last edited by Flatfender; 29-08-17 at 02:36 PM.

Classic stuff Ian!

Visitor

It's a brave man that drives an open sided (open topped) truck in the UK but you've got to be especially keen to do it in Cumbria. It's a beautiful part of the country but it's not well known for it's weather, or at least not good weather. We used to go to Grasmere every August bank holiday when I was a kid and invariably you couldn't see the tops of the fells for cloud and were walking in ankle deep mud, and that's when the rain wasn't coming in horizontally. It is a fantastic area though, in any weather. I can remember watching storms blow in across Windermere and hiking up Great Gable and Scafell Pike in driving rain.

Great photos.

I bought this 1st Jeep from Metamet (www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/jeep-metamet.htm) for 55.00 pounds and on the way home had to get petrol. It took me about 3 trips around the Jeep looking for the filler cap before I realised it was under the horse hair seat cushion I had been sitting on. I filled up and set off again but was imediately pulled up by a police car. They wanted to check the steering because the front wheels were "shimmying" when I accelerated. I didn't know at the time that it was in 4 wheel drive and the split track rod with a bell crank lever in the middle can allow an awful lot of play which isn't felt at the steering wheel. That was OK but they then checked the handbrake which of course did not work. That was when I realised what owning a Jeep was all about and what I had let myself in for, although I had no idea I would be still punishing myself 50 odd years later!
    Cheers
    IanW.
    Last edited by Flatfender; 24-05-13 at 10:52 AM. Reason: correction

Visitor

You enjoy the punishment obviously, you sick sick man, Ian.

Then again, don't we all.

Luv ur Jeep. Reminds me of my first Jeep, got it some 30 odd years ago.

A Tamiya "Wild Willy"
    Attached Images Attached Images

In 1964 I wrote off my Triumph TR3A sports car but managed to salvage the engine and had a good idea where it might fit - in my Jeep of course.
    In the photo of the chassis you can see the top hat shaped bell housing I made to connect the engine to the Jeep transmission. Some shots of some of the other Jeeps we also had in England in the 1960's and 70's.

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Flatfender; 04-09-17 at 07:35 PM.

This Jeep is one that I rebuilt from the ground up in 1965. Amazing what you can do in a little old timber lean-to garage. The last 2 shots were taken in 1969.

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Flatfender; 29-08-17 at 07:34 PM.

Here's some more of my same yellow jeep in 1972. Looks like I was trying to break it!

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Flatfender; 29-08-17 at 07:45 PM.

No doors, no windows, no roof, no heater - obviously no sense! Who cares its a Jeep

[IMG][/IMG]

Cheers
    Ian W.
    Last edited by Flatfender; 29-08-17 at 07:52 PM.

great pictures ian. look like you had a lot of fun back then driving and flying your jeep. how come you didn't get a landrover?