Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Ian's Flatfender

Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by Flatfender View Post
    No doors, no windows, no roof, no heater - obviously no sense! Who cares its a Jeep
    You must be nuts. After riding motorbikes all through the winter in the UK for years I know just how damn cold it is, especially when you add the wind chill factor. At least you didn't have to worry about the windscreen misting up!

Quote Originally Posted by 5teve View Post
    great pictures ian. look like you had a lot of fun back then driving and flying your jeep. how come you didn't get a landrover?
    As it happens I did actually have an early Land Rover at the same time. It was much more uncomfortable than the Jeep cruising over the fells at a decent speed. The suspension was much stiffer.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Cheers
    Ian W.
    Last edited by Flatfender; 29-08-17 at 07:54 PM.

I bought my current Flatfender in 1994. It had a huge alloy bull bar on the front when I first got it and the suspension was looking a bit tired. BUT it did have a nice Ford Windsor 289 V8 (4.7L) fitted.

[IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Flatfender; 29-08-17 at 08:05 PM.

Visitor

Great photos. The farm gate on the front wasn't helping much in the looks department. Looks great though (the Jeep, not the bull bar!).

Here is the Flatfender when it was blue on one of my first trips round Porters Rd at Kenthurst.

In 1996 I decided on a colour change and settled on construction yellow, similar to the one I rebuilt and painted in 1965. I must have been feeling energetic as I did a complete strip down before painting it. It actually came out looking pretty good.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Cheers
    Ian W.
    Last edited by Flatfender; 29-08-17 at 08:09 PM.

Here is the yellow Flatfender back on the road again in 1996... still with 30" Desert Duelers, no winch, no lockers and obviously not much sense looking at the depth of water and no snorkel in the last photo. It actually flooded over the front wings but the air cleaner is tight up under the bonnet and the engine never missed a beat.

[IMG][/IMG]

Cheers
    Ian W
    Last edited by Flatfender; 29-08-17 at 08:14 PM.

It's about 18 months since all the photos in my Flatfender thread became inaccessible so at long last I have got round to replacing them all. It has taken me that long to figure out how to do it! Now I will have to think about adding more to the thread.

Cheers
    Ian W.

Another blast from the past! An easy run on a nice day at Porters Rd, Kenthurst again. This time in 1996. You might have to click on Yuotube if it doesn't play.

Last edited by Flatfender; 29-03-17 at 12:08 PM.

1998 was a big year for the Flatfender, I did a major rebuild: Converted to "spring over axle", fitted ARB diff locks, made up an adapter to fit an NP435 gearbox in place of the T14, fitted a new 2 1/2" exhaust and a new clutch. And then sprayed it again, this time changing the colour to the current olive green with the white stars.
    The spring over conversion gave it much more flex and with the diff locks and the NP435 1st gear ratio of 6.69/1 giving a crawl ratio of 58/1 it became a lot more versatile.

Ian W.