Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boy killed by Tow Hook

Default Boy killed by Tow Hook

Sad story of a 14 year old boy killed by a flying tow hook during a failed vehicle recovery. I am coming to the view that responsible recovery training should be compulsory, but how can we mandate that. I guess as a club we can for our members. But as we saw with Hunno's flying hook episode at Jambo, you can't ensure that the other party knows what they are doing, or what are the reasonable limits in that situation, and sometimes shit happens no matter how careful we are. But this was never a good setup, and he should not have been where he was (bet there was no dampener as well).

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/quee...214-18wa0.html
    Last edited by glend; 14-12-10 at 05:57 PM.

Problem with most "training" is that the generally waffle on about the straps, but doesn't appropriately focus on the importance of the recovery point and bolts themselves.

See Jambo Committee Section of Forum.
    Last edited by glend; 16-12-10 at 11:20 AM.

Hi all,
    Sorry this accident has happened, I agree with what Glen has said and I volunteer for the position of safety officer (I know that I am not financial member at the moment ) but I am still willing to help out planning and running the jambo with you all.
    Cheers
    James
    gi frog

I think from a liability point of view you'd have to be a financial member at a minimum.

We looked at inspecting vehicles etc previously but it's not as simple as a cursory check and then signing off on the recovery point let alone inspecting all gear used in a recovery. The best we can do is educate our members and trip leaders on safest practice etc and ensure they are involved in any Jambo recovery to make sure it is proper and safe. Don't forget the hook that came off of Khalaks TJ was a rated hook bolted to an excepted to be safe point not some dodgey setup or tie down point. Also where do we draw the line on whats dodgey and whats not, towbars are not rated for recoverys yet are one of the most common rear recovery points, my front bar is homemade and is certainly not rated but it is MUCH stronger than any aftermarket recovery point on an XJ and an ARB bar (I wont go into details so you'd have to believe me)

Anyway, you get the idea. Maybe severl 'safe recovery days' would be better for all those members who'll be running trips or tail end charlie etc, we have a lot of time and could run quite a few between now and Jambo. Even winch usage as it wouldn't be unusual for a winch to be used in a recovery and it not be the trip leaders, they may not have one or never used one and if we are to oversee all recoverys as much knowledge as possible would be good.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

In the previous 4wd club i was with
    the trip leader had to do a cursoury inspection of each 4wd coming on the trip at the meeting point
    if it did not have rated recovery points and for instance if you were going to be somewhere muddy and they had bald road tyres
    then they could not come on that trip
    and it had to be done for every trip
    this is obviously not going to be a perfect solution only a suggestion along with as been said before when trip is posted up to state minimum requirements needed

We do the same, it's currently at the trip leaders discretion and one of the reasons requirements are posted in the trip template. I cant think of a trip where someone has been turned away but there have been a few where someone has had to bypass an obstacle because if there was an issue they could not be safely recovered.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Quote Originally Posted by glend View Post
    ...... and that the other equipment meets the highest of standards likely to be required with a safety margin (not some of these el cheapo strraps that you see around). .
    Actually I'd nearly disagree there. A weaker strap is FAR better than a weaker recovery point. I would much rather us someones dodgy old strap that might break (and slap about), than a dubious recovery point that might come flying missile.

Visitor

Also if you sign off on a recovery point and it lets go dosn't that make you liable aswell?
    because the first thing that will come up is what makes you competent to give the ok to that recovery point
    just my two cents
    Last edited by ACJ; 15-12-10 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ACJ View Post
    Also if you sighn off on a recovery point and it lets go dosn't that make you liable aswell?
    because the first thing that will come up is what makes you competent to give the ok to that recovery point
    just my two cents
    took the words right out of my mouth..... i knnow from work that once you sign of on somethign its your but on the line....