Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whining noise

Default Whining noise

After last weeks episode in Jenolan, I now notice a noise coming from the drive line somewhere.

It only happen when under load, ie going up hill or accelerating? It seems constant level, regardless of speed but is more evident at higher speed > more than 60kph. It does not occur at idle or neutral or cruising or going downhill
    Any suggestions on what it may be? Please
    Thanks in advance.
    Steve

Could be something serious as ur Jeep was throwung a lot of smoke on the run

I think the smoke wss due to o2 sensor being broken. Now replaced . FYI - I ordered Tuesday & it turned up fr usa Thursday -thats fast. Noise is only fr driving under load. Else engine running smooth as anything
    On Thursday I was lucky to book it in and and got Jeep dealer - to do my both front axles seals as it was leaking on trail as many noticed. Another lot of $$$$, though cheaper than I expected
    Any one got other ideas of origin of the noise? Thanks

Engine or transmission mount/s. Had something similiar in the ZJ. Engine mounts were shagged out causing movement under load. Had some slight vibration at times as well. Replaced mounts so it cured the problem at the time........................
    JC Member# 094

I doubt its the mounts as I have no vibration and it's smooth when revving engine out of gear. It's just this humming type sound. even the wife asked what's that noise?

- sounds like a bearing or similar is noisy or something. I read something it could be the pinion - but not even know what that is?

maybe you sucked mud or similar into your diffs ? when was last time you checked your diff oil? Could also be axle bearings, mine whine when on way out

I'm sure diffs are clean as Jeep put all new diff oil in front as part of Thursday's service with new seals. The rear was done 2 months ago. Mind you they only do what you tell them, so perhaps I need to get an expert to look/hear it.
    I think its bearings of some sort - but I don't know how to test that!

I'd be surprised if the O2 sensors fixed the smoke, when an O2 sensor dies you burn a ton more fuel, like 4 times as much and the smoke is black. You had grey smoke pouring out and it smelt like burning oil not overfueling. Have you double checked the oil levels etc and has it stopped smoking, hopefully not because it's low on oil.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    I doubt its the mounts as I have no vibration and it's smooth when revving engine out of gear. It's just this humming type sound. even the wife asked what's that noise?

- sounds like a bearing or similar is noisy or something. I read something it could be the pinion - but not even know what that is?
    Mine also revved smoothly out of gear. When under load in drive/gear, the mounts really flexed excessively causing the drive line out of ideal alignment causing my noise and vibrations (at times but not all the time). Ended up having to replace the yolk in the diff due to wearing due to excessive drive play/drive angle issues as well....... Never had a humming sound through.........
    JC Member# 094

Guys - all your suggestions are excellent and Ill have to get some one to check it out.
    As for the smoke - Steve - Ive not used excessive oil so Ill need to get some one to follow me to see if the smoke is still there after o2 sensors changes. From what I read Though faulty02 sensors can cause smoking. I ll just have to recheck