Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Whining noise

are you getting vibrations? If not and its just a squeek maybe its just the unis in the double cardin joint otherwise maybe ring wooders to see if he has the right drive shaft for you

Sounds like dry/worn unis &/or ball centring unit on your front tailshaft.

well I took the WJ to Jeep and they are quite certain that the front Drive Shaft is what is causing the problem with the whining noise. It will be $2500 to replace it but I thought Oh that is tempting NOT!!!!.

Can any one suggest a place that I can get the shaft checked out/fixed before I replace it? After all I spent $600 from USA only a year ago.

Any where from Chatswood to Hornsby areas or elsewhere if worth travelling to.
    Thanks

BPM Driveshafts in Cromer are very good, but he is not back from holiday yet - out of curiosity, have you been greasing the joints in the new front shaft?

Quote Originally Posted by Miraz View Post
    BPM Driveshafts in Cromer are very good, but he is not back from holiday yet - out of curiosity, have you been greasing the joints in the new front shaft?
    Ill give them a call but will also check out others that are recommended. A few that I've rung seem a bit vague in their interest.
    Yes - I have been lubricating the shaft according to recommendations.
    I think that it must a have a slight misallignment but need an expert to tell me. At the moment it's not installed so 2wd is the way.....quiet though.....

Cost me about $700.00 for a new front D/C shaft 2 years ago via John at Jmac diff & gear in Arndell Park, next to Blacktown 2 years ago. Give him a ring, very highly recommended.......
    Ph. No. 9671-5800....... No harm in asking him.
    P.P...... Jeep quoted me $2700.00 at the time for a standard replacement F/driveshaft................
    JC Member# 094

BPM lengthened and rebalanced a shaft that I'd bought from the US for a couple of hundred dollars after I had some vibration issues with it - cost less than $200

http://www.bpmdriveshafts.com.au/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Miraz View Post
    BPM lengthened and rebalanced a shaft that I'd bought from the US for a couple of hundred dollars after I had some vibration issues with it - cost less than $200

http://www.bpmdriveshafts.com.au/index.htm
    Thanks Miraz. I've left them a message, so hopefully they'll get back to me shortly and the the solution will be simple.......hopefully......

I think the hitting of the shaft on the Jenolan trip was one too many, Has a small dent on the grease seal thingy and scratches along the shaft. I also think the Cardan joint doesn't feel as smooth (as I would have thought) when turning it in different directions.

At least it's drivable,,,,,

Might be farther than you want to drive, but I've had repeated great dealings with Hardy Spicer in Moorebank.

http://www.hardyspicer.com.au/hspicer.asp
    It is not he who gives abuse that affronts, but the view that we take of it as insulting; so that when one provokes you it is your own opinion which is provoking.<br /><br />–Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    well I took the WJ to Jeep and they are quite certain that the front Drive Shaft is what is causing the problem with the whining noise. It will be $2500 to replace it but I thought Oh that is tempting NOT!!!!.

Can any one suggest a place that I can get the shaft checked out/fixed before I replace it? After all I spent $600 from USA only a year ago.

Any where from Chatswood to Hornsby areas or elsewhere if worth travelling to.

Thanks
    Called it!

I still have a hard time when I hear you guys say things like $2500 for a front driveshaft! For that price I would run one out on a lathe from titanium for you! Ha ha. The idea of starting a custom 4x4 shop in Australia is getting more and more appealing. Good luck with the fix.