Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing Tyre Pressure monitors

Default Installing Tyre Pressure monitors

Hi Guyz
    I am loving my new tyre dogs - Pressure & Temperature monitoring (realtime)

I added the monitors to hopefully save destroying an expensive tyre or two whilst wheelin - I have programmed the monitors for on road and off road;

On road the low pressure alarm is set to activate when a tyre falls below 30psi and I usually run between 32 & 35psi

Off road I set the alarm to a couple of psi below my aired down pressure ; if I am on sand and am running 12psi I set the alarm to 10psi

Hopefully this will allow me time to pull over and fix a leak before I have chance to shred them driving on a flat tyre - as all of you know its hard sometimes to know when you have a flat especially if you are in MUD!

I bought the tyre dogs that screw onto the valve stem - dumb@ss I hear some of you saying already.

Why;
    1. I wanted to be able to remove them and use them on hire vehicles.

2. They are coded to the wheel position so if (and I always do at half way) I changed the front tyres to the back - didnt want to have to break the tyre bead. just to relocate the monitors.

3. I often tow a trailer and will take the front 2 off and put on the trailer when towing - as you all know when the trailer starts to feel a little soft / bungee to tow its too late - tyre already shreaded.

Tip
    When I screwed them onto the valve they protruded past the sidewall of the tyre - this was clearly going to be a bad idea for serious wheelin so I took another handful of smart@ss pills and modified my rims!

I found a wheel mod friendly tyre store and had them remove my tyres and drill 4 additional valve stem sized holes and installed 4 extra valve stems - 1 in each rim! as close to the centre of the rim and as far as possible away wheelin danger.

Bonus
    Not having to remove them & replace them everytime I wanted to Air Down & Air Up
    I can now air up with the Mrs comfortable in the car with aircon on - all she has to do is toot the horn when the tyres are back to road pressure - I don't have to continuously check the pressure - can do other things like reconnect my sway bars, wipe mud from lights and number plates etc
    Enjoy Cheers Hunty

ps
    15.7l/100 is what I get towing a car trailer
    Last edited by Hunty; 25-01-11 at 02:40 PM. Reason: added reason for poor economy
    Luv My Jeep!

I have a feeling twin valves is illegal (If that's an issue), not 100% on that though.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Smile Lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
    I have a feeling twin valves is illegal (If that's an issue), not 100% on that though.

Cheers
    Steve
    LMAO
    as is 35's hey Steve lol
    Luv My Jeep!

True, bit easier to change a tyre than weld up a hole

Cheers
    Steve

What.. no windscreen mounted camera?

Hunty how do you keep all of that gear inside the Jeep from going walkiees at night or do you lock the Jeep in a shipping container with a large dog? Looks like a thieves paradise in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
    True, bit easier to change a tyre than weld up a hole

Cheers
    Steve
    Still LMAO
    I have a suggestion for your hole! lol
    Luv My Jeep!

I thought the internal monitors are good & safe and are interchangeble in case you move wheels front to back, side to side etc

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    I thought the internal monitors are good & safe and are interchangeble in case you move wheels front to back, side to side etc
    Maaaaaaaate
    dunno - my jeep is a poverty pack! & did not come with any monitors - lol - i like the ability to see all 4 pressures and temps at once - and to be able to chuck em on my trailer!
    hunty
    Luv My Jeep!

I'm thinking of grabbing a set but just for road use (Like the run to Cairns for the Cape York trip), looking at the state of my rims I dont know if they'd last that long offroad. I also looked at the internal ones which is another, but more expensive, option. Interested to see how they go when you air down and how they handle the low pressures.

Cheers
    Steve

there is 1 problem with the theory Hunty i used to sell the tyre dogs when i was at tjm the range of the signal does not reach the units when on a trailer you need the trailer specific kit as in a 6 wheel pack that has a booster in it