Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Cape York Trip - Sept/Oct 2011

Got familiar with a set of tyre pliers and levers today, took a tyre off and put two on (my camper). Since I cant take a second spare I'll be taking these along just in case Only 6 months (ish) to go

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Visitor

Picked up and fitted the the external roof frame thing so we can now get the roof top tent, drawers fitted in the back to store all those bits you just have to have, and booked in for the lift - we're getting there. YAY!!!
    T&R

That sounds about right Steve, six months one week until I head North, and three months until I try and finalise numbers so I can finalise bookings too! Glad to hear you have tyre pliers, and I think Hunty has too. You never know when they might come handy, and I totally understand why "bigfoot" vehicles can't carry more than one spare (hopefully we won't need any, we only had one damaged tyre last year, and one flat - me!).

I'm enjoying the excitement build up. I'd love to be on the road today, except that most of Nth Qld is underwater. It has been a big "wet" and it isn't over yet. I have a mate down here at the moment from 'central' Qld. His 4wd club is planning a Cape Trip in August, and they are glad they aren't trying to go earlier than that!

Dave

Yeah the big wet continues. It has been raining most of this week up here is Dysart with some really torrential downpours the last couple of days. Most of what we are getting came down the coast from the Cape, and that low off Mackay. Even here there is lots of erosion in the creek and river banks. I saw a ute in a tree coming up from Maryborough (the floods put it there). I'm going to Mackay on Monday and then on up to Airlie Beach but it looks like a really wet trip.

Well I hope that you are still having a good trip Glen, and I hope you have your trailer rather than tent. Does not sound like fun camping weather. Was talking to a guy in Anaconda this arvo. He is heading for the Cape with a group in August, and they are already stressing about the weather. I suggested that he wait and see how things improve AFTER the wet season ends in a month or even two... Yes, I was there looking at more camping supplies ...

Dave

Yeah Dave, I have the camper trailer with me and its nice and dry, but I've been sleeping at James' house for the past couple of weeks.

Cape Trip people might want to bookmark this site for the latest Qld road information (it's more concise than wading through the RACQ site):

http://highload.131940.qld.gov.au/

Here is the latest page and it shows what is going on up this way:

http://highload.131940.qld.gov.au/ge...date%201pm.pdf
    Last edited by glend; 14-03-11 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by glend View Post
    Yeah Dave, I have the camper trailer with me and its nice and dry, but I've been sleeping at James' house for the past couple of weeks.

Cape Trip people might want to bookmark this site for the latest Qld road information (it's more concise than wading through the RACQ site):

http://highload.131940.qld.gov.au/

Here is the latest page and it shows what is going on up this way:

Nice one, thanks Glen! As expected most Cape roads closed at the moment. Did you notice that access roads to Birdsville and Innaminka are also closed? Must be the wettest summer on record all over!
    Dave

The roads are starting to look better

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Post removed by Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 22-04-11 at 12:35 PM.

Visitor

You can put me on the maybes list.

Ben