Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Cape York Trip - Sept/Oct 2011

Done Ben, on the Maybe list on page 1.

I won't be at the meet at Wooders this week, can't remember if you have a copy of the itinerary or not. If you would like a PDF copy, just PM me your email address...

Dave

Sunexim

Cape york is the very good place to hang on.Some of my friends which gone there said that some times you feel that you are in sahara kind of desert. Very difficult. It will keep intersecting in months September or so.It will be a remarkable trip.

Sorry Sunexim, not sure whether you were expressing an interest in coming along or not Cape York is a great place to go, but definately not like the Sahara. The only sand driving planned is on beaches, and the area is not desert - especially after all the rain they have had this Summer. More Tropical Savanna and Woodland, with a bit of Tropical Rainforest as we head North out of Cairns through the Daintree. Yes, I am a Geography teacher. Sad ain't it?

Dave

Just keeping it up there, and with 5 months until we head off, I've been having a surf of Cape York websites and chats...

Another good Road Conditions site is http://www.cooktownandcapeyork.com/cook/roads

Obviously as the wet is still going, a lot of roads are still closed. The most 'striking' one I saw on the above site was "CAPE TRIBULATION to WUJAL WUJAL - CLOSED. The Bloomfield causeway has been washed away making a crossing impossible. This is not expected to be repaired for some months."

Hopefully "some months" will be before we get there, as this is on the route on the first day North from Cairns - either by Bloomfield Track or CREB.

If you Google - Cape York Trips 2011 - you will see LOTS of planned trips from May right through August, so I hope that the plan for September / October will mean that it's quieter, and as I said before, hopefully all tracks will be repaired / open.

Don't forget the Rosehill Supershow starts next weekend if you are looking for "stuff". Please drop me a line if you wish to discuss any equipment or other trip requirements.

Happy Easter ,
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 22-04-11 at 12:26 PM.

When would be latest date to give expression of interest for this trip

Hi Steve,

Back on page 1 of this thread I said that I would like to try and finalise numbers after the July club meeting. At that meeting I will hopefully get firm numbers of people, car rego's etc. This will give me plenty of time to make the few bookings needed before we set off in September - some campgrounds and tours that will require numbers of sites / heads etc. There are 12 vehicles that have expressed firm or possible interest so far - no idea how many people that this will be, but I do expect numbers to 'fluctuate' a little right up to departure... This is a pretty normal thing.

So, if you can let me know for sure by the July meeting, that would be great. Shall I put you on the Maybe list?

Thanks,
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave; 26-04-11 at 09:56 AM.

Tested the roof top tent over easter Cant wait. I've been keeping an eye on trips etc as well, also noticed fuel (unleaded) is up around $1.76 up there at the moment as well.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Yes Steve, fuel is NOT a nice thought at the moment. I was talking to Eddy last week and we looked up diesel prices in Seisia, $2.10 per litre. I was expecting that way up there, but I was hoping that it would not go over $1.50 between Sydney and Cairns. Pray for peace in the Middle East (not just for settling fuel prices, don't want to sound too shallow).

On another note, Glen D and I were talking to people from Seisia, the Daintree and North Qld info in general yesterday at the camping show. They thought that our timing of Sept/Oct was wise. A lot of areas are currently closed due to the very wet season, and many tracks may not re-open until late July or August, but they thought that we should be okay!

If we have time we can have a discussion on Wednesday after the meeting of things that we have found out. No significant changes to itinerary, just possible 'tweaks'. No date changes!

Dave

Just a note on travel times to and from north Qld. My son drove to Townsville on the weekend (from Dysart) going up the Bruce Highway from Mackay and returning down the inland Gregory Development road via Charter Towers. He reports that the inland route was significantly faster (3-4 hrs) not only being shorter but also due to much less traffic and not having to go through towns etc, but of course it does have road train traffic.

However, if you haven't been up that way before the coast route does offer some scenic advantages.

Glen
    Last edited by glend; 05-05-11 at 09:33 AM.

Visitor

Dave, add me as a very good possibility, thanks,Kevin