Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clicking sound in 4wd

Default Clicking sound in 4wd

Hi all,

So if any of you went to locker hill this weekend you would have noticed a clicking sound coming from the front of my truck. It's only apparent when I engage 4wd (high and low) It's louder when the drive train is under load and increases frequency with speed.

Any ideas of what it could be

Cheers
    Greg

U-joint on the way out...

Yep, I think we mentioned it on Saturday, front left Uni sounds shagged. I'd be sorting it soon rather than later before it goes completely and takes out an axle.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Are you still running the stock axle shafts?

If so, then there is a know failure mode for the axle uni's as the caps are not properly retained and can escape which will destroy the axle....aftermarket axles using better retaining clips

Yea I was looking at overhauling the front. The guys told me about your diff miraz sounds like the kind of mod I'm after. May as well start organizing it now since I know these jobs take forever. So I guess the next question is who did the work to your diff and where did you source all the bits and Axels from?

Sent you a PM

Ok just got out from under the car chasing what the problem could be and I dont think it's coming from the diff or Axels. I found the gadget that is between the driveshaft and transfer case (sort of like a joint which allows the driveshaft to pivot) has a torn seal and has alot of play when I twist the drive shaft and hold that joint steady. It clicks exactly like what im hearing. The drive shaft is also on a very steep angle which is most probably causing the problem. I can adjust the front diff so that the shaft doesnt approach the joint at such an angle but then I lose my caster settings.

So that would be a buggered CV then, I guess it would still be coming from the left due to the passenger side drop on the diff. You might have to look at replacing the driveshaft with a dual cardan driveshaft instead of a CV shaft. CV's don't like a lot of torque when they are at the maximum angle, if the boot has torn the CV has probably cut into it so just replacing it means it wont last that long before it buggers another boot.

Cheers
    Steve

Yea figured that would be the case. Just checked out the dbor website. They have a front shaft to suit 37s and 6 inches of lift for $1100. Looks like the mrs misses out on valentines day coz the mistress JK comes first

Try Wooders as well, as a club member you get a discount so certainly worth a call.

Cheers
    Steve