Thread: Arb air locker problem

Default Arb air locker problem

Hey everyone. Just asking here coz someone on here always has the answer. Went to activate my front arb air locker on the weekend and the compressor wouldn't stop. Checked the line for a leak but couldn't find one. Today I tried to find the leak again and noticed when I activate the locker, air is pumped out of the diff breather. I'm not scared to work on my own car but do I need special tools to fix the problem if the leak is in the locker itself?

Thanks
    Greg

First thing to check is the bulkhead connector (the brass fitting located at the top of the diff) there are diagrams on ARB site and throughout the web to show you what these look like, but essentially you drill a hole threw the diff housing and tap it. Then there are two brass fittings that thread in, one from outside the diff and one from inside the diff with the cover removed. The outside one uses a collar and is a compression fitting for the stock plastic hose that ARB supplies with there locker. The inside fitting connects the brass line from the locker itself to the bulkhead connection, it is also a compression fitting. Make sure these are tight and that the leak is not coming from there.

If all good then move on to the brass line inside the diff that runs around the ring gear and to the locker. Make sure it hasn't made contact with the ring gear and gotten chewed up, it should be very obvious it is has. This line runs to the right side bearing cap retainer which should have a hole drilled in it so you will not actually see where the brass line enters the locker. If the air appears to be leaking from the locker body itself then it has got to be the o-ring seals. They are very cheap from arb and are not that hard to replace. Here are the steps.
    1-remove both side outers (brakes, hubs, unitbearings)
    2-remove axle shafts
    3-remove diff cover
    4-remove 2 bolts per bearing cap retainer (make sure to keep each bolt with its appropriate hole)
    5-remove bearing retainers (you will only be able to remove one, the other has the brass supply line running through it so it will just dangle there) make sure to keep these oriented left to right and up and down as they will only go back on one way.
    6-disconnect the brass supply line from the bulkhead connection
    7-remove the ring gear and carrier from the diff (this will be very tight and should be difficult, place a large prybar or crowbar in between the case and the diff and apply some sharp jerking pressure to pop it out)
    8-when you remove the carrier make sure to keep both sides bearing races, and in some lockers, shims in place on both sides of the arb locker carrier
    9-the entire assembly should come out while the pinion remains in the diff
    10-you do not need to remove the bearing race and corresponding shims from the sides of the locker but if you want to then do it one at a time and keep them straight on which ones go where and the appropriate shims (Do not mess this up! as it will cost you a lot of time and money if you do).
    11-now you are down to the bare arb locker with carrier bearings on each end and shims placed below the carrier bearings closer to the locker. Just to the outside of those bearings who should see two o-rings on each side of the locker. These are the o-rings you are after. Pop those off as they are probably torn, cracked or stretched and replace.
    12-replace everything

here is a good link with some pics and part numbers.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/arb/arb-9.htm

GOOD LUCK!
    Last edited by 85cj7; 13-03-11 at 11:42 PM.

Champion. I'll let you know how I go or if I run into any dramas.

Thanks again
    Greg