Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help front cross thingy.....

Default Need help front cross thingy.....

Hey guys

Please excuse the language as I do not know the technical names.....

I was under the jeep today looking at the feasibility of installing the AEV control arm drop brackets. I noticed lot of play in the front drive shaft. The cross thingy in the driver side C thingy where the wheel connects to the axle has a lot of free play about 15 degrees, where as the same thing on the passenger side has virtually no play at all. I believe this cross thingy has roller bearings to guide it into the C thingy. Also can it be that installing the roller bearing will fix it

I think this play is also responsible for the clicking sound (instead of a bad drive shaft) when I am at full flex with drivers side tyre tucked in.

Does someone know what it is called, how much the replacement costs and can I do it myself.

Thanks for the help guys....

Mani

Sounds like you are talking about the Uni (the cross thingy also know as a Universal Joint) and the C thingy (the axle C). If that's the case there should be no play, any play and the Uni is well and truly dead and will certainly click on rotation. Get it replaced ASAP as if they let go they can take the C on the axle with them and you'll need to replace the axle as well. You can do it yourself but you'll need to remove the hub from its mount and pull the axle out, then you'll need to press out the uni etc. Its not hard but is a bit fiddly, should be fairly cheap to get a mechanic to do it if you're not sure.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Thats the one...... U guys are an asset to the club. I will try to get it fixed before next weeks trip or unfortunately I will have to miss another trip.....

definatly get it sorted asap..... like steve said, you could be up for a new axle

Any body has any idea roughly how much it costs...... This will be my first offroad related repair so am not very sure.........

The joint is around $30....should be about an hours work for somebody familiar with the task...

Just got 4 of the cross thingys shipped in for mine today. My two cross thingys for the front drive shaft are about dead and decided to replace the two cross thingys at the C thingy as well.
    Repco should have the cross thingys in stock. I'd call them and ask if they have any U-Joints for the axle of a JK.
    It is not he who gives abuse that affronts, but the view that we take of it as insulting; so that when one provokes you it is your own opinion which is provoking.<br /><br />–Epictetus

I got a side done at my mechanic before Jambo as I ran out of time $80 for the uni and hub replacement, I supplied the parts.

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Thanks Steve U r a champion.........

Hey Guys,

Turns out other side was clapped out as well. So cost X 2 ... Stock parts were really low quality. Although I wash the under body religiously after every trip still the unis were badly rusted and worn out, the ground finish was rougher than casting, the rubber seal was missing and half the needles in the bearings were missing. One of the caps was beginning to disintegrate. One of the ABS sensors was rusted in and broke when the mechanic tried to get it out. Thank god I got it to the mechanic in time before the cross thingy broke and took something else along with it. Got new heavy duty Hardy Spicers (I think that's what he said).

Guys with JKs get under the Jeep and try to turn the drive shaft. If it has any movement at all see where the play is, if it is at the cross change them. Things wearing out after 42000 Ks and moderate 4wding is that normal or bad quality.... I dont know only thing I know my funds for the Camp coffs are gone between this ($340), Still have to pay for the ABS sensor, the parking fine ($201) I got 3 days back from Liverpool council and the red light fine ($344) I got just before Christmas ....

Time to find some more Overtime shifts..........

On the brighter note going to Zig Zag with guys from work tomorrow .....

Mani
    Last edited by TRBN8R; 18-03-11 at 09:29 PM.