Thread: NP 242 shift proceedure

Visitor

Default NP 242 shift proceedure

Hey guys,

Just finished installing a NP 242 into my ZJ (easiest mod to date!!!!) and was hoping someone with a 242 could let me know the shifting proceedure for each of the modes (2wd, 4Part time, 4Full time and 4Lo)
    In the grand you needed to roll in neutral at about 3km/h to get from 4Full time to Low range or be stationary with engine off, so wondering what the new tricks will be....

Cheers

2WD to any of the High selections can be done on the fly, up to 100kmh according to the manual. For low I put the auto in neutral and shift into low when at a stop or rolling very slowly, same as you do now. The tricky one is going from Part time to 2wd, it may not click in straight away and sometimes reversing a little and then going forward will do it, typically I just change in to 2WD while still on the dirt and have no problems.

Oh and congrats on the swap, its a worthwhile one

Cheers
    Steve
    Public Officer - Member #076

Quote Originally Posted by a_boogs View Post
    Hey guys,

Just finished installing a NP 242 into my ZJ (easiest mod to date!!!!) and was hoping someone with a 242 could let me know the shifting proceedure for each of the modes (2wd, 4Part time, 4Full time and 4Lo)
    In the grand you needed to roll in neutral at about 3km/h to get from 4Full time to Low range or be stationary with engine off, so wondering what the new tricks will be....
    I found coming to a full stop was the only way to change into low in my grand.
    Glad to hear it's easy I've got one sitting in the trailer waiting to go.
    98 ZJ Grand Cherokee(Lightly Modded), 84 CJ8, 74 CJ6,
    Lord Help me I'm in to Jeep!!!!

Visitor

Awesome!!! Cheers steve... will get my new front driveshaft this weekend then back off the road real soon for some test runs before camp coffs!!!

Hunno the hardest part of the swap was getting the top bolt on/off the t'case