Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tyre choice opinion

Visitor

Default Tyre choice opinion

I want to get some new tyres for the heep and would be grateful of opinions. Bear in mind the car is set up as a weekend warrior and it is a TJ, so noise levels are not an issue.
    I guess i will need to stick with a radial construction as a bias tyre are not legal for road use (?), not to mention the tyre wear issue.

Im currently running 35" Cooper STT's which are a good general purpose muddy but more suited for touring duties. I usually have to deflate down to 12 psi or less to get a good tread length.

I have three tyres shortlisted:

1. BFG KM2's
    2. Maxxis radial trepadores
    3. Baja Claws (directional)

I would include MTZ's but im running these on the Pootrol and want something different.
    I cant figure out Claws, the magazines seem to love them, and on the forums they seem to polarise opinions - I have heard they have poor lateral grip, which could be a worry on off-camber descents, but the self cleaning action is enticing.

Cheers

Dave K
    Last edited by D.K.; 26-04-11 at 11:04 AM.

Procomp MT's Extreme MT's or MT extremes (claw like construction)...............(have 3 MT style of tyres)
    P.S. John is also the local distributer for Procomp's, A little more expensive but a great tyre................
    JC Member# 094

I've been running Baja Claws on my TJ for ages now and they have worked really great in the stuff we get to wheel in around Sydney. The new Baja Claws should be even better considering the improvements they have made. They are noisy but mine is like yours and only used for wheeling so not really an issue

As far as lateral grip, they've been sweet offroad BUT I have had it kick out sideways on roundabouts twice while driving on the road in heavy rain so would take care in that department allthough the new Claws do have more siping so should perform better in that department.

Cheers
    AJ

This month's Four Wheeler magazine just tested 10 muddies in the 37" size and the Trepadors came in 10th out of 10. ProComps were 9th, KM2s were 8th...I look at these myself very subjectively and as part of my overall research, but good article nonetheless...

I WAS surprised to see who the winner was though.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...tro/index.html
    It is not he who gives abuse that affronts, but the view that we take of it as insulting; so that when one provokes you it is your own opinion which is provoking.<br /><br />–Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Cpage66 View Post
    This month's Four Wheeler magazine just tested 10 muddies in the 37" size and the Trepadors came in 10th out of 10. ProComps were 9th, KM2s were 8th...I look at these myself very subjectively and as part of my overall research, but good article nonetheless...

I WAS surprised to see who the winner was though.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...tro/index.html
    That's a good write up - thanks for that link..

Visitor

Thanks for the feedback, guys.
    Hey, Chris, I read that tyre comparo - unbelievable, they must have different mud out there in California. Although they did say they were surprised given that the accepted theory is a greater void ratio gives greater cleaning ability.

keep in mind that these tire reviews are done by companies who have intrests in certain other companies.... ie, if 4wd action is running a tire comparo and cooper tires is paying tonnes for advertising, 4wd action would be mad to give them a bad wrap..... eveyone has their own agenda when it comes to these things......

Absolute and total BS - who ever wrote the article got paid to - there is no way in hell that a Hankook Dynapro MT beat the industries 9 best tyres - come on USA Morons!
    just look at the pathetic tread pattern on the Hancook - do you think the readers of your magazine are totally stupid!

Seriously Hancook is - better than Mickey Thompson claws and KM2's - in your dreams! moron Mag

Take a look at the tyre they have chosen first and last - its laughable = its an insult to our intelligence! - heres what I say to 4wheeler.com;
    Hang your head in shame for such a blatant piece of cash for comment journalism I have ever seen in my life!

Look at the stupid thing - it is barely an all terain!

The first tyre is the Hancook and the other is a KM2
    The Fat Aussie bastard in training Cheers Hunty
    Last edited by Hunty; 29-04-11 at 02:30 AM.
    Luv My Jeep!

Now tell us what you really think Hunty.

Maggie.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie View Post
    Now tell us what you really think Hunty.

Maggie.
    Stil LMAO
    I guess I should keep off my low range keyboard after midnight! lol

You crack me up Maggie!

have a great weekend
    cheers Hunty
    Luv My Jeep!